• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec CP850 and Antec 193 case combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sprocket7

Registered
I've had a couple of months using the Antec 193 case and the Antec 850 PSU. Result? Mighty impressed. Build quality is superb. The case is much bigger and far heavier than I imagined (I had just checked the height to be sure it went under my desk is all) and IMO it's all very sleek. The 'ugly side fan synfrome' just isn't an issue for me, I've grown used to it and now consider it looks pretty neat - esp. when you consider the advantages.

I'm building up a rig over two summers, in part because I was unsure whether to take the Intel or AMD3 route and partly because I wanted to get everything using just Adsense income (which is a bonus)....

Phase one included only my genetic components so with a 2.2 Athlon the case is actually chilling! I've switched off the big side fan and one of the 140mm fans on top of the case - making a very quiet case even quieter - and still I can't hear that PSU!

No problems with reported cable lengths with this custom combo either.

My PC is located in the 'office' (smallest bedroom) which is a typical set up for many I'm sure, and I've been surprised and shocked just how much dust the built-in removeable filters prevent getting in! Enough to warrent a monthly going over with the hoover - something worth considering when you think how costly all your components can be...

At the outset I was looking warmly towards the AMD 955 but now with the introduction of Intels's 920 DO I've switched and feeling much more confident. Gigabyte EX58-UD5? - I reckon so - But can I wait? I mean Christmas comes before next summer.... We'll see.

I've had a couple of months using the Antec 193 case and the Antec 850 PSU. Result? Mighty impressed. Build quality is superb. The case is much bigger and far heavier than I imagined (I had just checked the height to be sure it went under my desk is all) and IMO it's all very sleek. The 'ugly side fan synfrome' just isn't an issue for me, I've grown used to it and now consider it looks pretty neat - esp. when you consider the advantages.

I'm building up a rig over two summers, in part because I was unsure whether to take the Intel or AMD3 route and partly because I wanted to get everything using just Adsense income (which is a bonus)....

Phase one included only my genetic components so with a 2.2 Athlon the case is actually chilling! I've switched off the big side fan and one of the 140mm fans on top of the case - making a very quiet case even quieter - and still I can't hear that PSU!

No problems with reported cable lengths with this custom combo either.

My PC is located in the 'office' (smallest bedroom) which is a typical set up for many I'm sure, and I've been surprised and shocked just how much dust the built-in removeable filters prevent getting in! Enough to warrent a monthly going over with the hoover - something worth considering when you think how costly all your components can be...

At the outset I was looking warmly towards the AMD 955 but now with the introduction of Intels's 920 DO I've switched and feeling much more confident. Gigabyte EX58-UD5? - I reckon so - But can I wait? I mean Christmas comes before next summer.... We'll see.
you're lucky to have one :)
they're very good PSUs indeed, and i might add, they perform nearly, almost on par with the Antec Signature 850w PSU.

btw, do the filters prevent a huge amount of airflow?
my Antec 900 gets dusty far too often...even when i only have 2 or 3 fans running.

Glad to hear it, I've a Antec 1200 for awhile and have a lot of the fans modded, I'm rebuilding to I7 and decided to try out a CP-850 with it in the process and all ready have that in the case ATM.

Should get the final item I need tomorrow.

I know Oklahoma liked em, hope mine does as well as everyone elses. :thup:

I've a big desk, I keep mine on the top and to the right of me, helps with the dust build up I guess :)

Last edited:
you're lucky to have one :)
they're very good PSUs indeed, and i might add, they perform nearly, almost on par with the Antec Signature 850w PSU.

btw, do the filters prevent a huge amount of airflow?
my Antec 900 gets dusty far too often...even when i only have 2 or 3 fans running.

Great PSU. I dont think the filters prevent that much airflow compared to an antec 900. I had both, but the filters are a pain in the *** to take out and clean cause you have to take out the harddrive cages.

Great PSU. I dont think the filters prevent that much airflow compared to an antec 900. I had both, but the filters are a pain in the *** to take out and clean cause you have to take out the harddrive cages.
lol yeah i'm asking cos i just did a huge cleanup...using vacuum cleaner, clothes etc...to clear all the dust in my antec 900. my gawd was it dusty.

i've just taken my front fans out altogether now...don't need the cooling that much these days :p

Sorry folks for tardy reply. Convinced case and psu are a great combo. Re dust filters... I was surprised just how much dust is prevented from entering which is bound to make a difference. Takes half a second to remove covers then I 'flash' each across the hoover to keep things tip-top.

Back