• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 Not Enough????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie13

Hi folks,

I was getting ready to place an order with Newegg for some components I need for my new build and noticed the specs on the video card I wanted. It's the eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO and the minimum system requirements as listed are as follows:

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amps.)
Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

The Antec power supply that I already purchased and installed in my new case, I actually thought was more than enough power considering I only intend to run one GPU, since I'm not big into games. The 7900GS is just within my budget for a decent video card.

But the Antec Trio TP3-650 only supplies 19a to each of the 3 separate 12-volt rails. Obviously 19a is not 20a that is recommended. Did I just waste my money on this power supply? I purchased it because it's supposed to be a well made and quiet PSU, which is very important to me.

The new build will consist of the following components, only the case, power supply, and LCD monitor have I already acquired.

Antec P160W Anodized Aluminum Super Mid Tower
ABIT AW9D-MAX
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Samsung 225BW LCD Monitor
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
LG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe White IDE Model GSAH10LI
Windows XP Pro SP2

Can anyone give me an opinion whether this system will work with this PSU? Thank you.

Richie

Richie13 said:
Hi folks,

I was getting ready to place an order with Newegg for some components I need for my new build and noticed the specs on the video card I wanted. It's the eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO and the minimum system requirements as listed are as follows:

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amps.)
Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

The Antec power supply that I already purchased and installed in my new case, I actually thought was more than enough power considering I only intend to run one GPU, since I'm not big into games. The 7900GS is just within my budget for a decent video card.

But the Antec Trio TP3-650 only supplies 19a to each of the 3 separate 12-volt rails. Obviously 19a is not 20a that is recommended. Did I just waste my money on this power supply? I purchased it because it's supposed to be a well made and quiet PSU, which is very important to me.

The new build will consist of the following components, only the case, power supply, and LCD monitor have I already acquired.

Antec P160W Anodized Aluminum Super Mid Tower
ABIT AW9D-MAX
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Samsung 225BW LCD Monitor
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
LG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe White IDE Model GSAH10LI
Windows XP Pro SP2

Can anyone give me an opinion whether this system will work with this PSU? Thank you.

Richie

The "Amp" requirement is the total of all your 12v rails (57 amps). That power supply should be more than enough with power to spare.

Richie13 said:
The Antec power supply that I already purchased and installed in my new case, I actually thought was more than enough power

And it is... that video card will consume less than 6A at 12v. The Trio 650W is incredible overkill for your system. Enjoy :)

And welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Back