• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus Benchmarking v1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dwschoon said:
Are you going to be able to test the norton corporate edition? We have it at our office pushed from a dc to all the clients. I get really annoyed at it because once i logon to windows and reach the desktop, My computer is virtually unusable for at least 1 1/2 min because norton is hogging all resources to run some scan. If i click on any program when the desktop first comes up, it will wait until norton is done to even open it.

sounds like you already know its slow.. :D

dwschoon said:
Are you going to be able to test the norton corporate edition? We have it at our office pushed from a dc to all the clients. I get really annoyed at it because once i logon to windows and reach the desktop, My computer is virtually unusable for at least 1 1/2 min because norton is hogging all resources to run some scan. If i click on any program when the desktop first comes up, it will wait until norton is done to even open it.

Hey, I'm using CE 10.1 with no problems! I suppose relative to my experience with the Internet security suite (pure garbage IMO), it seems like I'm on a 10 GHz FX-92 with DDR2@ 1.5-1.5-1.5-x. :D

Yes sorry guys, glad to see the thread is still alive, I am almost done, its been moving day this week at work because the building owner sold the building and the new own is kicking us out. And given we are spending 16-18 hour days, the benchmarking has been put to the back burner for a few days. But since I lost a fight with a pallet I should have a day or so free to recover (sprained ankle and ripped nail mostly off big toe :eek: ) I should have time to finish this all up and get the data formatted into pretty little charts. Again sorry for the delay. ˆˆ;

*edit* asnd yes I can test norton c(one of the last things I still need to test), I beleive I have for sure version 8.1 and 10. And I am pondering a source for 9

Sorry again. will be able to complete it this week, the amount of RL events that got in the way of this project is staggering.. not the least of which being several work trips for installs, 2 large projects exploding in my face, my sister breaking her foot and a nasty viral infection that pretty much crippled me for almost 2 weeks (pain/irritation was too much to move). I know its been two months...damn. but I WILL complete this!!! *RaWR!!!*

Hehe.

Meanwhile complete new 2007 versions are out, check them out.

Make sure you take care of Real Life first, don't worry about this, anyone who's in a hurry can do this themselves! ;)

Ill be downloading the newest versions I think then, not going to get different norton ones since the ones Ive selected are most wideley used but Ill be getting newer pieces for some others. Its no biggy, once I get things set back up it shouldnt take long at all. Real Life? its out in the open!!! *beats it with a stick and stuffs it back into the closet where it belongs* Stay!!

I've got to tell you, as time goes by, Norton detects less & less of them.

Found 6 more virii today using AntiVir that Norton failed to detect and some of them were files that were a year and a half old no less... :(

uploading results now, made them all pretty and stuff
updated first post with information and descriptions and so on. Officialy mark Antivirus Benchmarking v1.0 completed

Last edited:
Id have to say the "best" is based off the list posted a few posts down showing how many virii each application found. As for the worst.. Norton Corp 8 seems to fill that spot. The real conclusion is, for the most part the AV products tested don't really affect the system much at all so just pick the one that catches the most and you're good. Certainly an unexpected result but good to know none the less.

Comparing it to real life experience, I'd say once things get going is one thing and getting things to start is another. I feel the system being slow when starting applications and booting up.

So in that sense, boot time to desktop is 72% longer when using Norton 2006 instead of AntiVir it seems. It's 35% longer with PC-cillin and 42% longer with Kaspersky. When you add that to AntiVir being at the top of actually detecting virii...

Let's see if we can get Gautam to post comments about results.

Also, let's see if we can get you 2007 versions, whenever you have time... :)

Check your messages...

I have been visiting this thread on a constant basis, and I am very pleased that you have completed your tests. I have already linked this thread in my --Sticky-- and I will definitely be referencing it when recommending antivirus software to other people. Well done pik4chu! I look forward to seeing this thread updated when new A/V programs are released.

Just got back from 1.5 weeks of a biz trip.. yay for jet lag :beer: anywho I'm aware there are some products that did not get tested that some people were hoping to see. While I can't make any garauntees (more biz trips coming soon) I do have plans to do a v2.0 soon (read in the next few months) but I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I do appreciate the support and enthusiasm for this test and hopefuly I can get a more friendly(to me) computer/system to use for the next ones. Thanks and enjoy the results.

btw for those curious about a corporate environment. This is what you will see on a Dual Proc Xeon server running Symantec 10 w/ groupware (groupware is the exchange scanner)

NAVExch.gif

it creates 2 threads per logic processor to real time scan the store. Now this is different from the mail filter piece where it scans email as it arrives, this feature physically scans the information store for more bad things... It can be turned off with a series of reg hacks but no way to limit its usage. And what you see is 24/7 it is never inactive :)

Back