• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Norton CE (from University) AND AVG...

To those of you who say that you are careful what you download and such... hop onto a nice and dirty university network. Granted we have a T3 in my room, but I was fixing a friends computer (she didnt have antivirus)... I formatted, reinstalled XP and had the machine on the internet for about 15 minutes getting critical updates and the University AV. In those 15 minutes we contracted 650 virii...

I have had norton stop 5,000 intrusions (they were all Sassers) in 15 minutes on my laptop when I was on University network... This place is horrible.

My linux machine I dont worry about, but my XP macine has Windows Firewall, Zonealarm, Norton, AVG, Spybot, Adaware, and spyware blaster.

So far, so good.

i was a norton guy since the early 90's, with a powermac 68k. i didn't make the switch to avg until about 2002. I have been very happy with it though, as it is MUCH less of a resource hog than anything symantec ever put out.

Intelligent use prevents 99.9% of -virus/trojan/name your poison - infections. However, just because I am intelligent about it doesn't mean my 2 younger bros, my parents, or my friends, who bring thier compy's over for a LAN party just about every friday/saturday are as intelligent. I couldn't tell you HOW many times i've been glad to have an anti-viral program up, running, and updated, just because of the TRASH that's been brought onto my home network.

But, that's life. I don't like firewalls myself. Never have trusted them to work the way they are designed. But, the way I see it, if someone so badly wants into my system, then let them. I do my utmost best to never store anything on my system that is personal, and never even save my passwords to anything, INCLUDING ocforums.com. all they are gonna get is real bored real fast, with what is on my system ::woohoo... ANOTHER DragonballZ episode? man, this guy is pathetic!:: :)

Pc-Cillin 2002, because it is not as heavy on CPU usage as Norton. It does not have the annoying "Norton Protected recycle bin". I find that Norton lags my comp down too much.

I use trendmicros free online scan. For a few reasons, Its free, and new antivirus programs are such resource hogs I may as well have the virus's on my computer, it would slow it down about the same amount as norton.

Panda Platinum 7
I've used Norton, the detection rate is atrocious.
McAfee, not really a fan of that one either.
Not a fan of Computer Associates, although I'd take it over Norton or McAfee anyday.
I do like Kaspersky, however, It's rather demanding on system resources, creating a slow boot.

All in all I'd say Panda is my favorite. The detection rate is good, they update the signitures daily, and if you use Platinum 7, it's pretty good with system resources. I've tried the new version they have out, the Internet Suite, its a bloated swine eating resources, slowing the os down to a crawl.

AVG. Norton refuses to pick up certain things because they want to sell you something else. McAffee just sucks like a hoover. Or electrolux. Whichever flavor you prefer.

Kaspersky AV here, going strong with 99.09% detection rate.
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67

Tried Norton, McAfee, Nod32, Panda, AVG, and a few others. I like Kaspersky the best, not to mention it consistenly ranks as the top AVs in all the roundups I've seen.

Oh, I should also add that they have virus updates roughly every three hours, and at least one every day.

SnP2k said:
Kaspersky the best, not to mention it consistenly ranks as the top AVs in all the roundups I've seen.

Oh, I should also add that they have virus updates roughly every three hours, and at least one every day.

Sure, but how do you know the updates contain anything different save for the version number? I seriously doubt they are catching and decyphering a virus every 3 hrs/24hrs a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back