• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtyme07

Do you guys use it? I have the free version of AVG antivirus and it seems like it's just taking up memory in the background. Should I have it and just scan every once in a while or something? Also would you guys be able to shed some light on programs that will slow down my computer that I should stay away from such as "tune-up" software?

If you'd like, you can try Ccleaner.

Some guys just reinstall windows every few years. I'm not sure how they keep the same cd key and still be able to activate windows everytime but re installing Windows will definatly make things quick again. I've never had problems with Ccleaner--you can tell it what to clean up.

Link to Ccleaner

As for anti-Virus, I currently use Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. It's going to expire in 23 days so what do you guys think? Dish out 60$ for another license for 1 year or try something else? (maybe free anti-virus 'cause I'm cheap?)

I've heard Avast is good...

Silver_Pharaoh

I know I'll get chastised for it but I'm a big Norton fan. Yes I know it's resource heavy. Yes I know it's not cheap. But still, I've been running it since about 1998 and have recieved a total of 2 virus' that it didn't quantine or clean on it's own. One of those took about a half hour to clear up, the other took a bit more. As far as the resource issue goes just make sure to schedule it to not scan during your peak usage. Have it scan while you sleep. No worries. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for. Stick with AVG if you like. I've had to wipe 3 of my friends HDD's because they didn't want to pay up front.

Here's the full protection chart for those too lazy to click the links above. MSE is listed under "out of box protection"

Kx4vh9y.png

Hrmm so it looks like I should just stick with Kaspersky since I'm currently using it...

Anyone agree?

Silver_Pharaoh

I knew McAfee had a good track record, but their program is such a damn resource hog. I've used AVG for a long time but quit using it a year ago and just stuck with Windows Defender that comes with Win 8.

I don't care for the charts. I never get viruses anyway as my habits are not the type to attract or invite them in. Still use MSE as it is very lightweight, not annoying and very simple.

We run better software and equipment than any home user would in my organization and stuff will still get through it at all. If I am going to take part in a losing battle, I at least don't want to pay for it.

RAP-quadrant-Feb-Aug13-600.jpg

Silver_Pharaoh, i found a program that u run and it will show the product key, http://product-key.com/ works on 32 and 64 bit systems.

Yes, but from my past expirience, Windows XP (Home) can only be activated 3 times per cd key... How do they do it nowadays?

Interesting find, I use Agnitum Outpost for its firewall... might not be that great of a choice now!

I might try Avaira after my license expires. Any other good choices for free anti-virus?

Silver_Pharaoh

I still recommend MSE to people asking that question due to how lightweight it is and integrates within Windows, along with decent detection rates despite people putting it down.

That chart is from Virus Bulletin.

Try out Vipre Antivirus Premium. Very light on your system and works great imo.

Back