• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any hardware monitoring software that calculates average temperature/voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

login211

I'd like to know what the average cpu voltage/temperature is over a certain period of time in my computer.

I can get second to second readings using hwmonitor, gigabyte system information viewer, and ryzen master but would like to know what the averages are between time A and time B.

Is there a software out there that can give me average figures?

Thanks.

hwinfo64 does. It does a continuous average when you start it, and you can reset the clock at any time.

Not sure what info average voltage, or anything is going to give you though. You should be more concerned with peak temps and voltages where an average simply washes away those peaks.

I find it useful as the reported values are naturally noisy even in what otherwise appears to be a stable load. The variations can be significant relative to the differences I'm looking for. Like if you look at aida64 charts over time, often they're "fuzzy" and not smooth. It may also be in part due to the software reporting an instantaneous peak not a recent average since last update, which would make individual readings potentially more useful.

I get nothing from an average. I want to see what the load voltage is, period, not an average over time. Too many things in that time can skew the result. AVX test vs non AVX for example will yield different values when left on auto or offset/adaptive. IMO, users should want what they see, not an average.

can you get msi afterburner to plot cpu voltages like it does gpu voltages?

Not sure what info average voltage, or anything is going to give you though. You should be more concerned with peak temps and voltages where an average simply washes away those peaks.

What he said:
I find it useful as the reported values are naturally noisy even in what otherwise appears to be a stable load. The variations can be significant relative to the differences I'm looking for. Like if you look at aida64 charts over time, often they're "fuzzy" and not smooth. It may also be in part due to the software reporting an instantaneous peak not a recent average since last update, which would make individual readings potentially more useful.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I can actually upload the log that gigabyte system information viewer creates and upload it to google sheets and calculate the averages myself.

I get nothing from an average. I want to see what the load voltage is, period, not an average over time. Too many things in that time can skew the result. AVX test vs non AVX for example will yield different values when left on auto or offset/adaptive. IMO, users should want what they see, not an average.

This is NOT talking about a long term average where workloads may change. Say I want to check what the droop voltage is under load. You might look at voltage without load, apply some load, look at voltage. Simple? Yes and no. The voltage readings are not necessarily constant under either condition. If you look at any one time, the value may be a bit higher or lower than average. By taking an average in each case, you denoise the reading. You don't average the whole lot, where I would agree it would be of limited value.

Actually, a long term average over different workloads may have some value for other scenarios, for example, if you wanted to estimate a typical power consumption of a cycle of some action. Only looking at the peak would likely over-estimate that.

It has it uses if you understand why or why not. Doesn't have to be used in every situation.

Typically voltage stays the same though outside of changes in load, etc. When you put a load on, so long as the load type doesnt change, the voltage will not meaningfully change either. A tick here or there is margin of error in software anyway so....

Regardless... i understand why its wanted now. I digress.

bump

Still looking for this or something that logs all pertinent overclocking info (voltage, temps...) into a log file.

I didn't realize how good I had it with the gigabyte system information viewer. It allowed me to record 24 hours worth of data which I could then analyze to my needs. The MSI command center only allows 60 minute logs.

He wants the captains log... star date and all. :p

Being serious, I think he wants to pour through text files of certain things like voltage over time. I'm not sure what can be gleaned from the info... but think that is what he is looking for.

I thought there was logging in hwinfo...he just needs to dump the info in a spreadsheet and average it. ;)

My suggestion was probably more hands on than requested. And HWMonitor will give the peak, but that could very well be an outlier (probably is) so I can see that not being enough data. My thoughts were more specific to my usage, as I don't have projects running while I'm off doing something else. Except 25 GB game updates. I go to bed after I start them. LOL

If looking at overall usage, the good old kill-a-watt or its derivatives store historical/usage data, too. https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Ele...F8&qid=1548730624&sr=8-2&keywords=kill-a-watt

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Volta...F8&qid=1548730624&sr=8-5&keywords=kill-a-watt

https://www.amazon.com/Poniie-PN200...F8&qid=1548730624&sr=8-3&keywords=kill-a-watt

I'm probably missing something here.....

he just needs to dump the info in a spreadsheet and average it. ;)

What EarthDog said.

Many apps already do this: gpu-z(does this beautifully but mostly for GPU related info), msi command center (only 60 minutes worth of data and I haven't been able to find the log file though I haven't looked hard), gigabyte siv (does exactly what I want however I don't own a gigabyte board anymore so it doesn't work for me).

I'm looking for one that I can use.

Why not just dump the HWinfo data into a spreadsheet? It will only take a second. :)

HWinfo doesn't log data second-to-second, it sorta dumps all the data that is on the screen into a text file. Have a look at the file yourself and you'll see that it can't be used to determine what average temps/volts are during load for example.

This is the kind of data I want (It's from gpu-z):

2019-01-28 19:45:04 , 300.0 , 2000.0 , 50.0 , 10 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 37.2 , 8.8 , 16.0 , 66.7 , 592 , 63 , 0.9500 , 32.4 , 5390 ,
2019-01-28 19:45:05 , 300.0 , 2000.0 , 50.0 , 10 , 0 , 0 , 0 , 36.4 , 8.0 , 16.0 , 66.4 , 592 , 63 , 0.9500 , 40.9 , 5406 ,
and so on and so forth...

I'm not the only one who thinks this kind of data is useful because this functionality already exists in many programs.

Can't seem to find the log file for MSI command center either. I'll ask over at MSI forums.

I can think of plenty of useless things that exist...existence by itself doesn't mean useful. :p

Jokes aside, please keep us posted on what you find. :)

Sorry, I meant HWMONITOR, not HWInfo...but I imagine its not the same either.

See if Realtemp or Coretemp catches temps/voltage?

I can think of plenty of useless things that exist...existence by itself doesn't mean useful. :p

Jokes aside, please keep us posted on what you find. :)

Sorry, I meant HWMONITOR, not HWInfo...but I imagine its not the same either.

See if Realtemp or Coretemp catches temps/voltage?

hehe :)

I would say anything that leads to greater understanding is useful, if greater understanding is what you seek. I'm trying to understand the quirks of my particular cpu, and the quirks that result from the combination of my cpu with the other hardware. It's all part of the fun of tinkering with something I assure you, it's nothing serious. But who says that one cannot be serious while they're having fun?

Anyway... Realtemp is only for intel. Coretemp doesn't really give you enough info though I think it has a logging feature. Thanks though.

HWMonitor is what I thought you said and that is what I'm using.

I'll keep looking and will post back.

HWINFO64 gives min/max/averages and is fairly comprehensive in configuration possibilities. Found here:
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
HWMonitor will do a data save, but I get limited useful data from it. Example here:

Yeah as you said, it's not very useful data unfortunately.

I did find out that hwmonitor PRO does allow for logging however it's cad$30. I think I'll pass on it.

Back