• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any hope for shorted pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

I was leak testing my system today and a slight filling spill I thought I'd cleaned up properly has shorted the PCB on my MCP-35X. It wasn't immediate as the pump was running well at first, but somewhere between two or three hours when I went to check on things again, it wasn't running and was hot to the touch.

I opened it up and noticed that the PCB was wet. I'll be ordering a new one ASAP but I was wondering if there's any chance the old one can be saved?

What a bummer. Great pump but I believe since the PCB is shorted, you can either DIY replacement or sell it to someone who can.

Also, just to be sure, MCP-50x should be out anytime now. If you're willing to wait, it will be more powerful and cheaper than a 35x. Been rebuild from the ground up swiftech style.

Its been delayed for a few months now. Source I would call them personally Skorp.

Yeah, it really is a bummer. Can't help but feel stupid about overfilling the res and ruining the pump...

Thanks for the heads up on the new pump. I've got two loops in my system with another 35X already installed, and I'm kind of antsy about getting it running so I think I'll have to get another 35X for now. Might upgrade to the 50X in the future?

I'll probably end up placing the shorted pump in the classifieds. Hopefully someone else with more electrical knowledge can salvage it.

If it's a 3 phase brushless motor, a common hobby ESC should be able to drive it. Also, some of the better quality pumps like the TS5 are potted to make them moisture resistant.

I did find a YouTube video about repairing them. Haven't really had the time to watch it though.

I ended up gutting my Swiftech Drive rev 2.0 that I used for my liquid cooled PS3. Haven't been using it lately so I figured I might as well. Also, I don't need the 35X for my PS3 as I had no means of PWM control, so I'm planning on just getting a 10W (quiet) DDC and using its motor for the PS3.

If I can salvage the PCB later, I might use it in a future build. Or I may still sell it... :-/

Edit: Current leak test two hours in and everything is good so far. Was more careful filling and bleeding the loop this time around. Heh...

Back