• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ideas as to why I'm hitting a wall at 3.0 ghz- AB9/E6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silenkiller

Ok, specs:

E6400
Patriot Extreme DDR2800 2xgigs 4-4-4-12
ABIT AB9PRO BIOS 1.5
Bigtyphoon

Anyhow, im at a 375mhz right now with the usual 1:1 ratio settings and what not. Vcore is 1.45v or so with the rest at stock. RAM is 2.1v as well. I still cannot get a stable run in prime95. I've taken my vcore to 1.50 and i've changed every damn voltage in the bios higher and still cant get anything stable past 350mhz. I can get into windows even at 420mhz, but still not stable. I've tried 5-5-5-15 ram overclocks and whatnot. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lots of people keep hitting 3.0ghz stable with their damn e6400's and im not even commen close.

Try testing the ram FSB (that you want) in memtest and set your multi back to 6.

what ram slots are you using 1/3 or 2/4?

also if you have a small 40mm-60mm fan put that on the chipset, sounds like it is overheating.

i have a early release mobo and no matter what cannot get the fsb to go higher then 396mhz. tried bios and the uguru oc panel, i can tell it 400+ but when it boots up it is 396mhz.

As Evilsizer said, your NB chip is probably too hot; I was hitting the 3.8Ghz wall with my DS3 and 805, and when I stuck a 92mm fan on the back of video card blowing onto the heatsink, I could hit 3.9GHz stable, and with a waterblock, 4.1GHz :).

hm alright i'll give that a try guys. just gotta figure out how to attach one there hehe

Silenkiller said:
hm alright i'll give that a try guys. just gotta figure out how to attach one there hehe
well mine is just sitting on the vid card and aimed at the NB.

Silenkiller said:
Wont cause any problems to my vid card?

oh and im in ram slots 1-3
my fan is plastic so it cant short anything out on the vid card. unless you have a metal fan?

Evilsizer said:
my fan is plastic so it cant short anything out on the vid card. unless you have a metal fan?

ah i was worried about vibrations, alright ima give it a shot

At that speed, north bridge heat shouldn't be a problem.

I've found Abit's sink more than adequate.

Try more volts to MCH, and ICHIO.

I found once i got to and over the 400 fsb mark, i needed more and more MCH volts.

cuda340 said:
At that speed, north bridge heat shouldn't be a problem.

I've found Abit's sink more than adequate.

Try more volts to MCH, and ICHIO.

I found once i got to and over the 400 fsb mark, i needed more and more MCH volts.
during my tests the NB got hot on the sink even with stock nb-v and speeds. it got hotter when i added more v(1.35) and higher fsb speed. i then removed the pwm/nb cooler to apply real thermal compound, seemed to help. not muchthough given how the heatpipe does not seem to be making good contact to the nb. with the fan now it is warm to the touch.

Back