• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc help on a e6600 2.4ghz curently at 3.0 ghz stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FaCeTank

ok to start im kinda a noob at overclocking... not at computers thmeselves though been building them for 10 years just never got into ocing that much since i always bought the latest and greatest didnt see a need to oc and possibly burn stuff up ..hehe'

anyway my specs on this old machine are

abit in9 32max bought iut when first duo cores came out (400 bux ouch)
and intel e6600 cpu 2.4 ghz cnps 9500 cpu cooler
xfx 8800gtx
corsair xms2 dhx 4-4-4-12 4 gigs ddr2 800 4x1 gig sticks
corsair 620 hx power supply
2 x seagate 320 gig in raid 0

so first i have the cpu clocked to 3.2 ghz stable using 1423 fsb setting and did not up anything else and have it unlinkled from the ram as when i tried it linked it would crash and also ran everest all night 29c idle 40-42 100% load wich seems great

question 1
can and should i clock it more ?? and what setting should i up and voltages and or ram settings. the uguru utitlity is bios is very robust with a million settings.

2nd really wanting to just slap a quad core in this and some water cooling and overclock it to hell and just skip going the core i7 route for now since all this stuff works pretty good still considering its age

so suggestions on a good quad chip to pop in here and do i need to get like 1066 or 1333 ram or will this 800 ram work

also will be adding a hd5870 to this system as well

bottom line should i spend money on a new chip ? and wich one ? or just keep ocing this e6600 and spend the money on a i7 mobo chip and ddr3 ??

and suggestions and thoughts are much appreciated

anyone ????

Last edited:
Back