• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any new and easy way to move Users dir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I've used the hard link method in the past. It's a bit tedious, but it seems to work. Resetting the "Location" data isn't ideal since it doesn't (can't AFAIK) move everything. There seems to be a method involving scripting the Windows 7 install using a custom xml file, but I'm not sure if that's any better/worse than the hard link method.

Has anybody found a better/easier way to relocate the C:\Users directory to a difference disc? I have an SSD coming in a week or two, and I'll be doing a fresh Win7 install, so now's the time to do my research.

"Hard link method" meaning you used Robocopy from the Recovery Console Command Prompt, then created a symlink from C:\Users to X:\Users?

Did they really make it that hard in 7. In Vista I just go to the folder properties and change the C: to E: on all my user folders and I'm good to go after a install/reinstall and delete what's left on the C drive.

Jay - all of the folders cannot be moved that way. The "AppData" folder in particular tends to get pretty big and cannot be moved using the Location tab.

you could try and modify the values in regedit at this location

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Back