• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any suggestions to get the most out of my DSL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoMonitor

Registered
It's the best I can get where I live... three miles from the closest hub, got knocked down from the original sales pitch of 10mbit to 3mbit when it was installed. Now I know I can't get them to send me data faster and I am paying an outrageous amount for such slow internet, but my question is this:

What tweaks can I make on my end to maximize my connection or at least speed up my local transfer rates?

2358770603.png

Westell DSL modem:
Model Number E90-610014-06
Serial Number 08Z405007374
Software Version VER:4.00.00.00
Boot Loader VER:4.00.00.00

Would enabling Turbo TCP help at all?

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 3579 Kbits/sec by 607 Kbits/sec

What router do you have? You could always enable some features and see how they affect your speedtest results, but most likely you're stuck with what you have.

I have bypassed my router as of late. No reason for it unless I want to use my laptop or cell of of 3G.

So there is absolutely no way to make the transfer of data more efficient between, say, my PC and my modem? I do realize that the PCB (mainboard) is designed to transfer at rates 50x faster than what I am currently utilizing, but are there no software tweaks that may help me?

Also, my ISP is claiming that at my current location there is no way to get a faster speed, however they refuse to try to up my limit to test their own theory (or at least they side-step this request every time I ask.)

Thus my next question is, if I am three miles from the DSL hub, what are theoretical speeds I may be able to achieve if they weren't capping my data rate at 3mbit (3.5ish on my modem?)

there is nothing you can do.

its all ISP Dependent. ask them to lower your trained speed if you can. it will save you in the long run.

basically its all about a ton of variables, one being line DB loss from your hub. i'm not sure if you can beg them to do a last mile repeater, they normally wont do this just for one customer unless you possibly finance everything. being its centruylink, the best you can possibly do is that. they can measure your line attenuation, but thats it.

if its a customer provided router, they dont offer any configuration, setup, or troubleshooting for the device itself. rented modems they will do as much as they can.

oh, and just a heads up, the noise on the line should be atleat 9db for adsl 2 they like to have it at 20db for both upstream and downstream.

Back