• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Get The Most Out Of Your Connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr1nge

I currently have Armstrong as a ISP, I pay around $60-$80 for my connection and I am happy with it thus far. I pay for a about a 10/5 ratio and it does it's job.

The problem is that I feel like I should be getting more out of my connection than I am at the moment. I get overall 1.0MB/s in Steam and Bit Torrent and 1.2MB/s at the most for download, it sometimes even peaks up to 1.5MB/s but I never theoretically see that.

Speed test results:

1405207251.png
1405210271.png

Why is my Upload taking a huge decrease is upload speed lately? I usually get 3Mbps - 3.5Mbps. Is it Hardware, Software or is my ISP capping my upload speed.

Internet Hardware:

Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router: http://bit.ly/mVgRCx
Killer 2100 NIC: http://bit.ly/oIq4X8
Modem: Default one that came with the connection.
Cables: 2x 50FT CAT 6 (One From my PC to the Router and the other from my Xbox to the Router.)

Software:

TCP Optimizer

Last edited:
Your download is right in-line of where it should be (10/8 = 1.25ish MB/s) The upload is low though, I would (if you can) try connecting directly to the modem and run the test there.

there is another trick we used to do, (besides tuning) with the cable modem. i dont know how you pull that off with a router. but we switch Duplex off, while a speed test isnt testing in and out at the same time, the checks are still going in both directions.
for some reason, speaking to a modem with a nic was faster with duplex off?
It finishes the I before it does the O.
Makes no logical sence with buffers and all, and it still works in the 100 base unit.

were supposed to be 20 here, and if your at 10 , and the full DL speeds here , across the planet, are not much higher than what you discussed , the REAL speeds.

but the speed test to the server next door here, shows some wow speeds I didnt even know i have.
That is good to check this first connection, but unless my downloads are comming from the city 40 miles and one hub away, they dont mean much :)

Last edited:
I even changed my DNS to a DNS that name bench recommend and it didn't help. I have dropped in upload speeds from 3Mbps to about 1.30Mbps?

Speed testing by my self though speedtest.net shows 1.30Mbps upload, but if I do it through the Killer 2100 Client it shows 2.30Mbps +

I also have the option you said about Duplex, I can set my Connection speed to 1000Mbps ,100Mbps , and 10Mbps. If I set it to auto it automatically puts it at 100Mbps? I have a 54Mbps router, will that affect anything?

The Duplex options are Auto, Full and Half

Here's some pictures of the client:

Is there any settings here I should change, that would help with my connection?

33y12br.png.jpg

ht8j1x.png.jpg

kbozr6.png.jpg

2938qpi.png.jpg

2w2ebo3.png.jpg

Last edited:
I even changed my DNS to a DNS that name bench recommend and it didn't help. I have dropped in upload speeds from 3Mbps to about 1.30Mbps?

Speed testing by my self though speedtest.net shows 1.30Mbps upload, but if I do it through the Killer 2100 Client it shows 2.30Mbps +

The Duplex options are Auto, Full and Half

well you can try half, but it is about a very specific conection.

if you get better with another test style, to another server, then did you try other servers at speed test, or say try at 2am when everyone is asleep
i just tried the XIAMEN server and got all of 3 and 1 .

Back