• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Tips on Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shax

Long time creeper first time poster here. Built my first ever system a few weeks ago and I am just wondering if you guys have any tips for me. My Idle is about 38 and under load is mid 50s. If I could get that a little lower with some simple fixes I would be more than happy too! :)

I am running the 3 stock case fans through the 30W fan controller and that is it! Thinking about getting 3 Scythe GT to replace the case fans and maybe a 4th to push pull the H60 rad?

6206071398_7c317c4b0e.jpg
IMG_4280 by ShaneAllenBeach, on Flickr

Here is the machine in question

-Intel - Core™ i7-2600K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 8MB Cache
-Corsair - H60 High Performance CPU Cooler
-Gigabyte - GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI
-Asus - 24x DVD-RW Drive, SATA w/ LightScribe, Black, OEM
-Cooler Master - Silent Pro M 850W Modular Power Supply
-Kingston - HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) w/ Intel XMP
-NZXT - H2 Classic Case, Black
-HIS - Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
-Scythe - Kama Reader 2, 45-in-1 Card Reader
-Western Digital - 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache

Something I am not too knowledgeable about is daisy chaining fans so any input on that as well!

Thanks for the help!

Your temps are fine, but is your processor overclocked at all. If not see what you can get as far as a nice stable overclock and then gauge your temps. Most high end coolers really only show there true ability when they are pushed to the max.

Well that was more the concern, I haven't started to overclock this sucker yet but I figure it's going to need a little more aggressive cooling to do so. Nothing to heavy though just a light overclock.

:welcome:!

Agreed with Dougshell, your temps are perfectly fine. The limit you should set is around 75-80C and start lowering down the Vcore.

Yeah i push my i5 750 to 4.12 at about 85c without watercooling so you should at lease be able to get about 4.5ghz with decent temps. Just please keep in mind if this is your first experience with overclocking, take it slow and do it right. Dont just run in blindly.

Also for case fans i would look into some YATE LOON. A lot easier on your wallet.

Yeah i push my i5 750 to 4.12 at about 85c without watercooling so you should at lease be able to get about 4.5ghz with decent temps. Just please keep in mind if this is your first experience with overclocking, take it slow and do it right. Dont just run in blindly.
Technically, since this is Sandybridge, the OP could go in blind for a 4ghz overclock. Set multiplier in BIOS to 40, leave voltages at auto, save settings, done.

I mean, yes, it's not really recommended, but it's certainly doable with these chips.
OP, ideally you'd want to raise the multiplier while using offset VCORE voltages (to keep speedstep/EIST active) and test with OCCT or IntelBurnTest to make sure it's stable. If it's stable and temps look fine, raise the multiplier a step. If it's not stable, raise the voltage (up to a maximum of 1.38V) and repeat stability testing. Don't touch the BCLK setting.

Yeah i push my i5 750 to 4.12 at about 85c without watercooling

Mr. Shell,

At what voltage do you find you're able to reach 4.12? and at what multiplier? additionally, do you run that O/C 24/7?

Forgive the barrage, you've a processor after my own heart..

Back