• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any tried the tint technique on the arcticsilver website?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secretweapon

The instructions on Arcticsilver's website it suggests "tinting the heatsink" before mounting with arcticsilver 5. I follow the instructions to the letterand got 3 degrees higher temperatures than without tinting :( Has anyone else tried this?

try reseating youre HS you probably mounted it wrong or used too little/too much paste.

if youre saying you only tinted youre hs and used none on the die then pull that sucker out and put some on the core or you will fry it! if you tinted it and put some on the core then probably you used too much.

Arctic Silver's website states that you can skip the tinting with AS5. I did it the first time I used it, because I had used AS3 before, but the second time I used it I skipped the tinting. I didn't notice that much of a temp difference between the two methods though.

Basically, with AS5, you want to use as little as possible to do the job. Less is more in this case. I like to "butter" the core with a super-thin layer of it using a razor blade, and that seems to work best for me. Others just put a small amount in the middle of the core (about half a grain of rice) and let the pressure of the heatsink mount spread it.

Take it off, clean it up good with some 91% isopropyl alcohol, and try a different method. Remember too, that AS5 takes a week or two to settle in, and you'll see significant temp drops as this happens.

Good luck!

StaticXD00d said:
Others just put a small amount in the middle of the core (about half a grain of rice) and let the pressure of the heatsink mount spread it.

That's exactly what I did the last time I applied AS. Before that I always used a thin layer all over the heatspreader.

I actually got 1-2c better temp with this method.

Back