• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody got a good opinion on mobile service providers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord Vader

Right now I'm with Verizon and while they have in my opinion the best customer service in the industry. Their physical service has not been so great lately where it used to be good.

I called tech support a few times in the last 6 months and they've acknowledged that after their 4G upgrade, they screwed something up where 3G users aren't getting as good of reception as they used to.

I live in a large city and to have crappy service almost everywhere is not acceptable and apparently upgrading to 4G will not fix that as the 4G coverage is spotty at best.

So, I'm looking for a new provider.

Right now I'm paying $125 for 700 minutes shared between 2 phones. Only one phone has a data package (unlimited, grandfathered in). Unlimited texting and insurance on both phones (have made EXTENSIVE use of this and will not drop it). Nights after 9 are free as are weekends.

I feel the price I'm paying is a bit high too.

What I'm looking for is unlimited data, text and talk minutes at a reasonable price with no contract and good-quality service.

I may be asking too much and if I am, then I may be willing to budge on the no-contract bit. Not on data though because I like to stream Pandora all day and tether to tablet using phone as a hot-spot.

Anybody got any ideas?

The only provider I could recommend is Sprint for their unlimited data. I had them a long time ago and I never had call problems. I know a few people that use Sprint now and they never complain about anything. I do remember horrible customer service, as I believe it was outsourced, but I couldn't tell you about it now.

I have AT&T now because I'm grandfathered in on their unlimited data plan, and I make the most of it. I stream music all the time. I've had some really good experiences with their customer service, but if you get a rookie, you will understand why people say AT&T customer service is horrible. They read from a book and act like they have no understanding of what you want. Veteran cs reps seem to ditch the book and actually help you.

One thing you might consider is using a phone with 4G HSPA+ (iPhone 4s uses this) and not LTE. Coverage is the same as 3G, as it's basically an upgraded 3G, but faster. LTE is too spotty for me, as I live in the city but do a fair amount of travel outside the metro. I use Google music and Zumocast all the time and never have problems streaming (Google music streams FLAC at 320kbps mp3). I took the gamble on this when I got my Atrix 2, and it's payed off bigtime. A friend of mine has the Bionic and he has LTE coverage issues.

I think you'll likely have to get a contract, wait it out, then do month to month. It's what I do until I need a new phone. I haven't paid for a phone in almost a decade.

I have a Motorolla Triumph on Virgin Mobile, (it's the Sprint network) Virgin mobile is the no-contract arm of Sprint. I get 300 minutes with unlimited text and data for $35 a month. More minues per month are available for more money. The phone is $280-300

The phone is pretty good android 2.2 with 4.1" screen and speedy processor, though it does have a known issue with slow GPS lock on and a few other minor annoyances. It comes with an amazingly thick factory installed screen protector that needs to be removed to get good touchscreen response, but once removed you get iPhone-like touch screen sensitivity. This phone DOES NOT DO TETHERING, NOT EVEN WITH DOWNLOADABLE APS.

The Sprint network coverage is so-so in my area. In a large city you may find yours to be better than mine. Overall I really like my phone and carrier. I also have a Optimus V for the wife ($130). It's a rock solid and reliable little unit, but it's got low end hardware in it. However you can do wifi tethering off of it simply by downloading an app.

Last edited:
The only provider I could recommend is Sprint for their unlimited data. I had them a long time ago and I never had call problems. I know a few people that use Sprint now and they never complain about anything. I do remember horrible customer service, as I believe it was outsourced, but I couldn't tell you about it now.

I have AT&T now because I'm grandfathered in on their unlimited data plan, and I make the most of it. I stream music all the time. I've had some really good experiences with their customer service, but if you get a rookie, you will understand why people say AT&T customer service is horrible. They read from a book and act like they have no understanding of what you want. Veteran cs reps seem to ditch the book and actually help you.

One thing you might consider is using a phone with 4G HSPA+ (iPhone 4s uses this) and not LTE. Coverage is the same as 3G, as it's basically an upgraded 3G, but faster. LTE is too spotty for me, as I live in the city but do a fair amount of travel outside the metro. I use Google music and Zumocast all the time and never have problems streaming (Google music streams FLAC at 320kbps mp3). I took the gamble on this when I got my Atrix 2, and it's payed off bigtime. A friend of mine has the Bionic and he has LTE coverage issues.

I think you'll likely have to get a contract, wait it out, then do month to month. It's what I do until I need a new phone. I haven't paid for a phone in almost a decade.

This. The other issue with cell service is that it's widely dependent on area. I have AT&T (also grandfathered in on a REALLY old family plan, I have unlimited data/text for non-smartphones since I buy my phones unlocked, so they have no idea I have a Nokia E7) and have never had issues. However, I live in a well-populated area of MA (either at home in a decently-sized city, or at school, a bustling college town). I know of people in other places of the country that have never had a single good experience with AT&T, but I've never had an issue anywhere in the northeast.

I've got no plans on leaving AT&T solely because it's the largest GSM network, and I have an awesome plan grandfathered in at the moment. If I ever lose my features or something of the likes, I'll probably switch to a smaller GSM network (anything with cheap unlimited text/data, online calling would work well enough for me).

I was with sprint about 6 years ago....never again.

I had been scared off with all the AT&T nightmare stories. We do have a local carrier that uses the AT&T network though. I'm guessing if you're not grandfathered in though, they may not be the greatest choice due to data caps though, right?

I was with sprint about 6 years ago....never again.

I had been scared off with all the AT&T nightmare stories. We do have a local carrier that uses the AT&T network though. I'm guessing if you're not grandfathered in though, they may not be the greatest choice due to data caps though, right?

The simple fact with phone carriers is that it all depends on where you live. You never know how good the coverage will actually be until you start using it.

I've been happy with TMobile for a few years now, but I don't do anything but call/text. No smartphone here.

The simple fact with phone carriers is that it all depends on where you live. You never know how good the coverage will actually be until you start using it.

That's probably the most HONEST opinion, LOL. I guess I'm looking for the lesser of all evils that can most meet my needs.

I haven't had the opportunity to look into all of the responses, but I wanted to make sure I let you in on my awesome secret...

I use Boost with the samsung galaxy prevail. It's kindof a crappy phone but has been thoroughly hacked, and Boost has unlimited data. It's only $55/mo (was $50 when I signed up) and is lowered by $5 each 6 on-time payments. This means I will eventually only pay $35/mo for unlimited data, text, calls, etc. I'm sure there is a fair usage policy, so you shouldn't use this as a replacement for your primary internet service provider.

At any rate, with the phone hacked you can enable the mobile hotspot and the coverage is great (sprint network). I've used many megs of data, easily exceeding 5gb some months without any issues.

I haven't had the opportunity to look into all of the responses, but I wanted to make sure I let you in on my awesome secret...

I use Boost with the samsung galaxy prevail. It's kindof a crappy phone but has been thoroughly hacked, and Boost has unlimited data. It's only $55/mo (was $50 when I signed up) and is lowered by $5 each 6 on-time payments. This means I will eventually only pay $35/mo for unlimited data, text, calls, etc. I'm sure there is a fair usage policy, so you shouldn't use this as a replacement for your primary internet service provider.

At any rate, with the phone hacked you can enable the mobile hotspot and the coverage is great (sprint network). I've used many megs of data, easily exceeding 5gb some months without any issues.

Just as a bit of info on the "fair use", back in December sprint mentioned they start throttling those on pre-paid plans, like boost who abused 4g. Regular spring customers are in the clear.

http://www.goodandevo.net/2012/01/s...heavy-data-roamers-and-illegal-tetherers.html

As it says in the article, less than 1% of their users are affected. I've gone well over the 5gb "magic number" and have not had any issues with throttling or anything of the sort.

Sprint has always had a fair-use policy in place for roaming data

Another thing to consider is that boost does not roam at all. It's physically impossible. I don't know about virgin (maybe why their plans are different?) though.

Further, if this was happening to anyone, I'm certain they would have instantly been sharing with everyone on the forums and so far no one. I do not want to take advantage of sprint's generosity by any means, but instead reward them by being a loyal customer (and prepaid is all they're getting, I refuse to sign a bigger contract for a phone than I do a residence that's absolutely retarded).

As it says in the article, less than 1% of their users are affected. I've gone well over the 5gb "magic number" and have not had any issues with throttling or anything of the sort.

I believe those stats, but it seems anytime I present the "How often does one go over 2/5GB anyway?" question, people (internet know-it-all people mind you) all (yes, all) claim they rack that up in no time. :rolleyes:

Well, I do measure my traffic and have gone over 5gb. I'm not measuring now because I am on a temporary setup (jacked up my last rom).

While I was on vacation to Puerto Rico none of my in-laws had internet, so both myself and my wife used tethering extensively. We averaged around 600mb per day, and not guessing or exaggerating because wifi tether says right on the app how much data is used per session.

Of course, you can blame my wife's YouTube addiction for most of this. Regardless, I wouldn't say I break 5gb each month, so maybe historical data helps me avoid throttling. I average around 3gb with some months much lower. My home connection I only use about 60gb/mo. I have toned it down quite a bit, used to use 400-500gb/mo. It was almost a game of how much I could use at one point. I'm older and wiser (and less addicted) now though LOL. I measure my usage at home using my router box using pfsense, so that is definitely accurate.

So, having said all of this, I can assure you I'm not just saying crap. I don't want you to think I'm a super heavy user either though. I use way more than average, but try to not openly abuse my privileges. If I replaced my ISP using tethering, I would find out quickly if they throttle, as 60gb of mobile data would HAVE to spike someones radar LOL.

Forgive any typing/autocorrect errors, sent on my phone lol(which is already at 125mb just during my lunch break :()

I was thinking about Boost or some of the other services like that but no roaming is a deal breaker as my wife travels for work quite a bit.

It looks like I may be stuck with the cost and contracts of a big carrier. Very depressing. I may end up getting one of the Verizon 4G phones and seeing if the service is any better and if not, returning the phone and just telling them that I'm going to another carrier due to their poor reception. I hate to do this though because I know I'll go over whatever data-caps they set (*shakes fist* darned you, Pandora).

If you have to have roaming, and lots of data, Sprint is the only option I could think of. Sprint has great coverage, but remember that on a post-paid plan they have roaming contracts for places. What this means for you is that you aren't considered "roaming", but you will get coverage in places that aren't serviced by Sprint towers.

Sprint post-paid has some exceptional choices for phones, and many very hackable. The evo is the first that comes to mind, but there are plenty of others.

Good luck regardless of the direction you go. If I were you, I wouldn't even have had a second thought about the right service provider given the parameters you've laid out. In my eyes, they all get eliminated but one. If you decide to go with someone else (such as Verizon), you'll have to compromise on something you want. At that point, it's not a matter of what carrier, but what are you most willing to compromise on? Data usage caps, roaming abilities, contract, cost? Once you figure out where you're willing to compromise first, and what you want, then you should find the carrier that best fits your needs.

Fortunately my choice was easy as I could care less about roaming. I will say that in all of my travels and everything I have roughly the equivalent of my wife's service with Boost. She has Verizon (her mom's plan). I may get slightly less coverage, but in my experience if we are in a spotty service area, we're both getting spotty service. The rule of thumb seems to be (for all cell phone networks) if you are near a sizable city, or interstate you typically will have coverage.

This is only in my limited area I travel though, if I were in a position that I was always traveling for work I would definitely consider a post-paid plan. I personally would never consider anything that's not unlimited though, as you can see from my usage habits lol.

I've been with Sprint before. They could offer me $10 a month service with free weekly car washes and Swedish massages and I would still tell them to take a hike. I'm stuck with choosing between staying with Verizon, switching to T-Mobile or switching to the local provider who is on the AT&T network. At this point because of the grandfathered plan with unlimited data, I'm leaning toward sticking with Verizon but trying a 4G phone. However, rather than getting roped into another 2-year contract, I think I'll either pay more for the phone under a 1-year contract or buy a phone outright and continue with no contract (my 2 years is up and I am on month-to-month). I was just hoping there was a better deal out there..

Last edited:
I've been with Sprint before. They could offer me $10 a month service with free weekly car washes and Swedish massages and I would still tell them to take a hike. I'm stuck with choosing between staying with Verizon, switching to T-Mobile or switching to the local provider who is on the AT&T network. At this point because of the grandfathered plan with unlimited data, I'm leaning toward sticking with Verizon but trying a 4G phone. However, rather than getting roped into another 2-year contract, I think I'll either pay more for the phone under a 1-year contract or buy a phone outright and continue with no contract (my 2 years is up and I am on month-to-month). I was just hoping there was a better deal out there..

hahahaah that is absolutely hilarious. Even with the free weekly car washes and Swedish massages, you still wouldn't take Sprint.! I've been with T-mobile for 11 years now and experience so many problems with dropped calls and losing reception everywhere... I guess i"ll look into Verizon now... My understanding is that they have iPhones now? Guess it's time for a new plan...

hahahaah that is absolutely hilarious. Even with the free weekly car washes and Swedish massages, you still wouldn't take Sprint.! I've been with T-mobile for 11 years now and experience so many problems with dropped calls and losing reception everywhere... I guess i"ll look into Verizon now... My understanding is that they have iPhones now? Guess it's time for a new plan...

I have them and their cellular service has stunk since the 4G upgrade and they admit that they messed something up that is affecting 3G users also.

The one good thing I have to say about them is that they pretty much have the best customer service that I have ever had from a company. They are genuinely helpful and will bend over backwards for you if they can.

Back