• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have 3.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MRD said:
My laptop is 133 mhz, and it runs debian linux quite well really. I do most of my posting from it. Not exactly a gaming rig though. =p

If you are very short funds, I think you might want to look at linux. It runs well on low powered computers and has excellent c++ support, and it's totally free.

I didn't mention linux as this is a windows board, but for slower machines - linux always trumps.

Linux is also an excellent solution when you have a budget of $0 to work with.

Captain Newbie said:
Nope. :(

Linux may be obtained for free in a LOT of places, depending on which distribution you want.

I just want something that can get the rig past the POST screen lol. Preferably the smallest file size.

dan

Last edited:
MRD can answer this better than I, but for small linux I'd do Ubuntu with just the C compilers you need installed. (I use Fedora on my desktops; it's kinda bloated for anything smaller than 512MB of RAM)

Ubuntu, like all distros OTOH, gives you the ability to select just which packages you want.

Go to www.debian.org. Download the net install disc for x86. This is only about 100 mb. Burn it to cd. Boot this cd and follow the automatic installation instructions. It's pretty easy to use. Some distros are a bit more user friendly, but debian is pretty easy, and we can help you through it. It has good development support and a nice package manager.

If you can't figure out what to download, let me know and I'll get you a link.

MRD said:
Go to www.debian.org. Download the net install disc for x86. This is only about 100 mb. Burn it to cd. Boot this cd and follow the automatic installation instructions. It's pretty easy to use. Some distros are a bit more user friendly, but debian is pretty easy, and we can help you through it. It has good development support and a nice package manager.

If you can't figure out what to download, let me know and I'll get you a link.

Can you give me a link? I got lost looking through a bunch of other links.

thx

dan

Ok. Booted the PC with the CD in the drive and installed the OS. Downloaded then desktop package (I think, can't remember).

It then told me that it was done installing the OS, and then it rebooted.

I logged in, but I thought it was going to load a windows-like environment, but instead it just left me there on a DOS-like environment.

Did I do everything right?

dan

Last edited:
OK, during the installation, there's a point where it offers you sets of packages to install. Things like desktop, web server, etc. You have to put an X next to desktop and then install that. Then you'll boot into a gui. If you choose one of the servers, it might not install the pretty gui stuff.

You can install it later too, but you have to choose stuff package by package. To do this, you use a program called aptitude. This brings up lists of packages you can install. You select the ones you want (I forget what key does it), then another key goes and downloads and installs them all. You would first make sure to install the X.org package (or maybe it's still XFree86, I'm not sure, but pick X.org if you have a choice).

Linux can have a very pretty gui desktop if that is what you want, I think you just chose the wrong option during install.

It might be better to post questions from here on in in the Alt OS forums where all the linux geeks like me hang out. =p

Back