• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have an opteron 2XXX series cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catawalks

Alright guys, I'm new to this site, just brought over from Anandtech by g0dMAn, and I have a slight problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I just bought a brand spanking new Asus L1N64-SLI WS/B motherboard, 8GB of Corsair DDR2-667 ECC memory, and 1 of the 2 Opteron 2350's that'll be going into it. It's all well and good, except come to find out, the boards ship with bios revision 0401, which is an older bios, which does not support the B3 stepping 2350's, which I have. Looking at the CPU compatibility list for the 0401 bios (located below) it only supports before B3 for the 2350's and the F2 of the other 2XXX series cpu's.

So, instead of waiting the lengthy time it would take to RMA it and have them update the bios, or instead of me buying another compatible Opteron and flashing the bios myself and then returning it, I was wondering if there is anyone around where I live that has a compatible Opteron and is willing to help me out for a day?

I'm in Monroe, NY 10950. Any help would be appreciated. Might even be able to throw a couple bucks your way for the help.

L1N64-SLI CPU Compatibility list:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=L1N64-SLI WS/B

i would think you could put the chips in and flash the bios since it may not know exactly what it is but i would expect it to see that it is some sort of amd chip and should work well enough to flash your bios. Hell i would think that as at least worth a shot, if not check a local computer shop, maybe they have a spare lying around to help you out.

Thanks for the reply. I've got the whole rig built actually, the cpu in the mobo with everything hooked up, only problem is its not even posting. I did a little looking around and apparently this is a problem more then a few people have had. They generally just had a dualcore to flash it with, RMA'd it, or just returned it and said screw it. I'm definitely not about to drop this board with all the things that it has to offer.
Also, unfortunately there are no local computer shops that have these types of parts, the only local one I have has semi low-end machines compared to this.

Anyways, thanks again for the reply, but I think I'm just gonna say screw it and have my pops lend me the money to do the buy and return scheme. That way I'll only have to pay the 15% restocking fee and have it done in less than a week instead of RMAing it and paying for shipping to who knows where and having it take a month. Well, atleast my last mobo RMA took a month and I'm not really willing to take that chance again.

Also, kinda off topic from my original post but has anyone ever had much luck with overclocking dual socket systems? My last Opteron 270 system couldn't overclock at all without completely crashing but I think that was because of the motherboard.

Worth a shot. Sometimes going from one cpu to a different one It must detect the new. Like going from a dc Athalon to an Opty or vise versa. Try booting holding the insert key or tapping it. press the reset key a few times as well while still tapping the insert when it doesn't boot. Unplug or switch off PS. Try again, and again. This can work not only on unsupported chips by the bios but also unsupported chips of the same socket, like using a Tbreb B in an old KT7A raid mobo. Sometimes it can take close to a half hour but it can work or has in the past.

XTremesystems has a lengthy thread about this mobo I would check there as well for their experience and maybe they could even help you out.

If you weren't be on the other side of the globe I could help as well.

Back