• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone know why i have 5 firefox exes running at the same time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

theres only one firefox window open but task manager shows 5 exes running. if i close any 1 of them the window closes. the only reason i noticed was that ive been having hardcore lag just browsing the forum. its pretty much gone but it will come and go. the program isnt as snappy feeling either. its much slower to react. it just updated to the latest version today but the lag started prior to that. im assuming it was prepping the install or dl. ive run av and nothing was found. im at a loss.

If its like chrome, each tab open is a different entry in task manager. So if the site in the tab dies or borks, it doesnt take the rest doen with it.

well apparently there is a switch that can be made to disable the multiprocess exe thing. with only the browser open and no tabs i have 5 exes running. so by changing this process in firefox to false it should disable them.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1147868
i tried it to no avail. ill try a reboot and see if that enables the change.
edit- reboot didnt change it still have all 5 of mah buddies. i havent noticed anymore lag so ill leave it be for now. ill update if i find a work around.

Last edited:
yeah didnt have any luck with that either. i also found a way to supposedly limit multi process through options>performance but it doesnt change anything either.

just to be sure did you do both? deselect 'Use recommended performance settings' and change 'Content process limit' to a smaller number - try 1

yeah, i tried doing that as well. i did a reinstall a bit ago and it seemed to fix some other headaches i was having with the forum but no love with the crazy exe thing.

yeah, i tried doing that as well. i did a reinstall a bit ago and it seemed to fix some other headaches i was having with the forum but no love with the crazy exe thing.

What other headaches were you having with the forum when using FF? Reason I'm asking is because in Chrome I was having issues with with the forum not responding to keystrokes sometimes but since switching to FF the issue has disappeared.

I had (7) next to the one FF entry under Task Manager Apps, and when I expanded the main entry you could see 7 separate FF threads open in that one App entry. Some of them were not using any CPU activity and some were. I suppose that may have had to do with whether or not there side bars and banners being actively refreshed for advertising. But when I start ending each separate thread I could sometimes see the (7) go to a lower number but sometimes I would close 2 or 3 before the number would change. And it didn't seem to correspond to which threads were showing CPU activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
What other headaches were you having with the forum when using FF? Reason I'm asking is because in Chrome I was having issues with with the forum not responding to keystrokes sometimes but since switching to FF the issue has disappeared.

I had (7) next to the one FF entry under Task Manager Apps, and when I expanded the main entry you could see 7 separate FF threads open in that one App entry. Some of them were not using any CPU activity and some were. I suppose that may have had to do with whether or not there side bars and banners being actively refreshed for advertising. But when I start ending each separate thread I could sometimes see the (7) go to a lower number but sometimes I would close 2 or 3 before the number would change. And it didn't seem to correspond to which threads were showing CPU activity.

the biggest is/was not keeping me logged in. i thought that was fixed but i just had to log in again despite checking the keep me logged in option the last time i logged in(sooo aggravating). another is not being able to respond to threads(the response field will be greyed out)without changing to the --default mobile style at the bottom left of the forum.

the latter seems to have been fixed but its to early to say for sure.

with mine i always have a minimum of 5 exes running in task manager not including the main one that you can double click to show the others. if i include the main one its 6. if i close one at 0% sometimes it will just close that one. other times it will close all of them. if i close one with anything over 0% it will close them all every time.

Screenshot (2).png

with mine i always have a minimum of 5 exes running in task manager not including the main one that you can double click to show the others. if i include the main one its 6.
There are 5. The 'main' one is a 'summary' of what is below it.

In tools options there should be a "use multiprocess", or not, check box.

tried it with no change. im going to assume that its just normal...
ill check out the back up rig and laptop at some point.

Back