• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone see this before? (scare tactic type popup)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
lol.JPG

Thats just simple Javascript to show you the contents of a local address, like file:///c:/

Anyone or any page/script you access can do a WHOIS on your IP and find out what ISP owns it, and your browser's User-Agent string tells the page which browser version and OS you run.

Nothing scary at all, just pointing out some info that is normally transmitted in HTTP headers.

It is very easy to use an Iframe to show the contents of a hard drive, and data such as Browser version and Operating system are transmitted with requests for data.

As for working out your ISP, that too is easy enough - they will get your IP, and reverse-DNS it, to see what your ISP is :)

vipersig.jpg

Dont be scared. those ads are targeted to the ones that do illegal things on the net "years of Internet date can be used by the police"

unless you are doing things you should not :D

Blueacid said:

As I was scrolling down, I saw the pic and didn't think much of it, but when I read it, I jumped lol

I wonder how that was done with a pic?

I like how that pic changes its sayings at the end every time you reload it :).

The first time I saw one of those, I closed the browser right away and I turned the security on IE up to high lol. Now I know better :D

"No, I am a meat popsicle." -- I'm not gonna ask :p

Blueacid said:
It is very easy to use an Iframe to show the contents of a hard drive, and data such as Browser version and Operating system are transmitted with requests for data.

As for working out your ISP, that too is easy enough - they will get your IP, and reverse-DNS it, to see what your ISP is :)

vipersig.jpg

That's pretty cool... I think that it's done by your browser asking danasoft.com for that pic, then Danasoft figures out all the info with the methods that have already been mentioned. It then fills out some type of form which then makes the pic and gives it to you. (Or that's my theory. It makes sense if you think about it... :D )

Edit>> Actually, it got my ISP wrong.... It said infoave.net but my ISP is citcom.net. Infoave is citcom's upstream provider. Close enough though. :D

actually it only takes a second to read the URL to figure it out. I just havent seen that type of pade before. I have seen other people with the code that displays my system info.

I bet it must scare some people.

Back