• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone try coolabratoy liquid ultra on their GPU die

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nashiem

Registered
I have herd people using it on their cpu dies after delidding, but I haven't herd anyone using it on a GPU. I would think if done correctly it would be safe to use. ALso according to benchmarks nothing beats it, at least for normal air and water cooling.

I don't think it would matter a lot for graphics cards if temps were 5-10*C higher or lower ( if you are not hitting throttling point ). While overclocking on sub 0 temps it also doesn't really matter if there is couple of degrees more or less. What matters most is each step at which GPU is capable of overclocking higher. Usually it's starting from temps not available for air/water cooling.
I don't know if you understand me here so maybe one example. GTX780 on air/water can make 1300MHz. Difference between good air and water is still about 20*C under load while max clock is about the same. Next 20*C lower temp will probably help in 100MHz more while for 1500+MHz you need -20*C or lower under load. I'm saying about average chips not some special ones that react on temps much earlier.
Older cards were acting in slightly different way but in new cards it's all about balance between temps and voltage.

Also as Evilsizer already said, any liquid metal can't be used with aluminum or some other metals that are most common in graphics cards heatsinks or even IHS. I'm not sure what metal is used for that frame protecting core on AMD cards. Even if it's copper IHS then it's always covered with other metal layer which is usually reacting with liquid metal.

All know how hard seem intel's stock cooler:

Last edited:
Also you have to basically boil your CPU to melt the TIM in order to apply it.

You can go ahead and do that if you want but I am a bit hesitant to use a TIM that eats certain metals, requires you to thermal protect the chip in order to apply it and doesn't provide that much of a benefit over any other TIM.

Back