• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use NOPPIX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InvisGreenMan

I'm downloading it now. It is suppose to run off of a CD, so I don't have to partition/install over my current Windows installation. This is my first look into Linux...hopefully it will be a good one. :)

Too bad I don't have another stick of ram, so I can run it straight from the ram. :-/

:D

<--uses Knoppix

just ask any regulars here, they'll tell you I am teh Knoppix mastah

Last edited:
violineb said:
Edit: darn you beat my post by like 5 seconds :s

um it's Knoppix and I'm probably going to try it since I just finished reading the article on Toms Hardare. Seems like fun :D Now if only Linux could do games too.....oh the speed

It can do games...most game publishers just dont write for it cuz it only takes up about 3% of the market (about the same as Apple though, so who knows)

Arkaine23 said:
:D

<--uses Knoppix

just ask any regulars here, they'll tell you I am teh Knoppix mastah

^he's the knoppix master lol

i also use knoppix, but only when im setting up a system--
i'll generally copy the knoppix config files, as its much easier than writing my own lol

Do you mean Knoppix? If you meant that, then yes, knoppix is very good. Too bad it only shows kde, but you can also use IceWM, which is cool IMHO. Check the boot options for some cool tricks.

gnome, xfce, fluxbox, wmaker, larswm, and twm are also choices, depending on what version of it you're running. And there are dozens of Knoppix spinoffs...

Last edited:
Ok, I just used the built in burning software in XP beacuse my current software keeps giving me a "Runtime error 9 - subscript out of range." No idea what that is all about, but it did not help to reinstall it or windows.

Now, if you would be so kind as to tell me how to get Knoppix to boot off of a CD. :)

Edit: It didn't work when I changed the boot order in the BOIS...

Kendan said:
You use nero or ezcdcreater to burn the image to a disk then you boot from the disk. In Nero it is File >> Burn Image

In the newest Nero its:

Recorder>Burn Image :p

Like Arkaine said, the built in XP burning program will only burn the actual image file (probably a .iso) on to the disk. You can not boot off this because only the .iso file, not the knoppix image. To burn the knoppix image, you need cd writing software (nero, easy cd creator, as well as many others) that can burn image files.

As far as booting goes, once you burn the knoppix image, make sure your bios is set up to boot from the cd-rom drive. Once you do that, simply put the disk in the drive and turn on your computer.

What's funny is the overwhelming majority of those are based on knoppix either directly or in part.

Back