• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway to prevent getting Amber Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Amber core WUs are released to general FAH. If you turn on -advmethods by adding it to the target line of the shortcut, you should avoid getting Ambers. You shouldn't try to fold bigpackets on that rig.

bigpackets wont' help that much .. sometimes you will get the amber even you use bigpackets

i'll tell you a secret, how to only getting 241pt tinker.. -> just use fahconsole v4

:D
maybe that's not right, but i always get 241pt tinkers on v4 whatever machine i use (barton, p41.7, p3 800, duron1200).

That's odd yanz, I've only got V4 clients because my rigs are running 98SE and I get gromacs all the time, rarely get tinkers. When you first start a new V4 client you'll often get a tinker first unit, but then it's gromacs all the way.

This might throw the client for a loop but have you tried making an empty read-only file and giving it the name of the amber core? I figure the client will either freak out and try to download it over and over or just try something else (which is what you want) :shrug:

My guess is that the client would find the core corrupt and download a new copy from the server..

Gnerma said:
It couldn't though thats the beauty of it.

You create this blank read only file named FahCore_82.exe and place it in the FAH directory. Are you saying the client wouldn't download a new core and overwrite the empty file because it's read only? That will work if the client attempts to overwrite the dummy file but not if it deletes what it sees as a corrupt file and then downloads a new one. I'm not going to test the theory as FAH may spend hours attempting to load the dummy file.

Actually while it's DLing them it names them something different, then it would barf when it tries to delete the fake one and rename the other.

You could try running "Toast" or something like that at a high priority when the client is started until it's done that "benchmarking" thing, then it might get you timeless tinkers because it thinks you have a slowass rig.

You'd probably have to do that manually every time it wanted a new unit though.

RoadWarrior said:
Actually while it's DLing them it names them something different, then it would barf when it tries to delete the fake one and rename the other.
Yeah I just played with it a bit and it goes into a download loop. It is actually probably a good thing that this method does not work because it could be used by everybody to only get work for a certain type of core, or to exclude a certain core their CPU does not do well on to get more points.

Back to the problem at hand I suppose. So is it only the F@H Amber core that causes these problems Dave? You've stress tested your P3 and it checks out ok? If -advmethods does not work you might have a go at joining the beta team. Sure you'll be folding Beta WUs and that isn't exactly the safest way to fold but they wont flake out every single time.

Back