• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED APC UPS OEM Batteries Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
I just bought an APC OEM UPS replacement battery because the APC backup software program was advising there was less that 3 minutes of backup available. The battery was about 6-7 years old. The new battery arrived so I checked each with a DMM.

The old battery read 13.5V and the new battery read 12.6V. Why would the old battery read OK on the voltage and give me an error of a short backup time? I'm suspecting the old battery wouldn't hold the charge under a load but was showing 13V+ without a load on it. Is this a correct assumption?

"but was showing 13V+ without a load on it."

Put a load on it and it will (if it really is going bad) read a much lower voltage then the newer battery and/or it's voltage will fall fast. Most likely it just does not have enough capacity any more which is why it giving you such a short backup time.

I just bought an APC OEM UPS replacement battery because the APC backup software program was advising there was less that 3 minutes of backup available. The battery was about 6-7 years old. The new battery arrived so I checked each with a DMM.

The old battery read 13.5V and the new battery read 12.6V. Why would the old battery read OK on the voltage and give me an error of a short backup time? I'm suspecting the old battery wouldn't hold the charge under a load but was showing 13V+ without a load on it. Is this a correct assumption?

^ I have had a Car Battery go bad on me once, lucky it was a stick shift. The battery had a bad cell - I was informed by the automotive tech that replaced the battery. It would read 12v but when I tried to start the car, that battery would drop to 8v. I need all 12v to start the engine as 8v was not sufficient.

We have a business call Batteries Plus. https://www.batteriesplus.com/?loca...MIoZHzkb-12wIVRb7ACh27bgB1EAAYASAAEgKkCfD_BwE
This was 10 - 15 yrs ago. I took my bad UPS battery in with me to verify that I would be getting the right one. The CSM was extremely helpful and even offered to help. I did not know enough to question the CSM's advice and purchased a higher rated battery because it was less than $10.00 more. My UPS 650 or 750 lasted only 6 months after I installed the new battery. The additional current from the new battery fried the right side (the side that had battery backup ability) but left the left side unaffected. The UPS was a APC brand. http://www.apc.com/us/en/support/pr...ide-for-selecting-a-battery-backup-system.jsp
I sent it back to APC for repair and was advised that I had used the wrong battery because of the damage done. Since I had used the wrong battery, I had voided my warranty :(
Lesson Learned :)

Well, you guys are correct and so was my suspicion: Wouldn't hold a load, and yes, I've had car batteries looking good with no load but were borked when a load was applied. Problem solved with a new OEM battery and hoping for another 6-7 years.

FYI, all my APC units are the basic ES550 models, 330 watts, and they have given me more than adequate coverage when the power goes out, and since all three are the same, it makes my replacement logistics perfect.

Back