• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APG2 frequency problem. Which cards will run at 88.7Mhz (BX440)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zordrack

system

Asus P2B-DS v1.06 (BX440 Dual)
PIII850
1GB ECC Crucial SD-RAM PC133

Hey

I've been looking for quite a while now for video cards that would run stably with an AGP2 frequency of 88.7Mhz without much luck.

As my system is based on a BX440 chipset it doesnt have the correct AGP ½ divider for running with an FSB of 133Mhz and thus kicks the AGP bus out of spec.

The problem is with my current Asus V7100 GeForce2MX the system refuses to even boot once i clock the FSB to 133Mhz and thus also clock the AGP2 to 88.7Mhz.

So my question is.
Which contemporary cards (preferably nVidia based) will run at 88.7Mhz stably and how much cooling do they require to do so ?
And by stably i mean rock solid. Zero downtime and zero crashes due to bad hardware. Stability is more important to me than speed.

Perhaps i should add that my system is generally very well cooled, if cooled only by fans.

A side question. Does anyone actually know how big a performance impact there is in only having the AGP2 bus and when (cardspeedwise) i would start really feeling that bottleneck. E.g. will i start hitting it with a GeForce3 or will i start hitting it with a GeForceFX ?

Thanx for your time. I hope you can help me

Cheers
Zordrack

My cheapo 8500LE runs at an AGP speed of 90 Mhz. But you might be better off getting a new motherboard with the video card. There are no garantees that you will get a card that runs with the bus that far out of spec.

EDIT: Your bottleneck won't really be the AGP interface, it will be system bus and CPU power.

If he gets a new mobo then he sould get a new CPU and the memory...

A new comp maybe ?

Thanx for the input.
Still looking for nVIdia alternatives. And also looking for as fast a card as possible. The theory going something like "i may not be able to max out this card but at least i can comfortably turn on FSAA ;)".

BTW, is there any difference between manufactures or is this primarily a GPU issue ?

Cheers
Zordrack

Back