• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU based PC build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oleksandr

Hi guys, I have this need to build a PC that I can use for playing Dota and see what else I can play om the latest AMD APU A10-7890K http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6zPyWX

Please suggest a good PSU to do that kind of job.

I have heard that new AM4 will get to the market in December. But, I also don't want to wait for another 3 months.

By the way I already have some parts thtat are on the list:
memory, SSD, HDD.

Thank you in advance for advices on parts.

Untitled.jpg

Most of us would recommend an EVGA made PSU in the Super Nova series. Since you are not using a video card you do not need a high wattage unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438049

This one is fully modular which is really an advantage in your min itx build because of limited space inside the case you have chosen. By the way I recently did a build with that same case and really love it. You do realize, however, it has no room for a DVD burner so you will need to pick up an external one with USB connection if you don't already have one.

Last edited:
Most of us would recommend an EVGA made PSU in the Super Nova series

I certainly would. I just used the one trents recommended in a build, and a G2 in my own build. They are probably at the top of almost every list. Throw in EVGA's customer service and warranty and you have a winner. It would be worth looking at faster RAM, too. I believe AMD's APUs scale well with increases in RAM speed.

Last edited:
I certainly would. I just used the one trents recommended in a build, and a G2 in my own build. They are probably at the top of almost every list. Throw in EVGA's customer service and warranty and you have a winner. It would be worth looking at faster RAM, too. I believe AMD's APUs scale well with increases in RAM speed.

This. The graphics performance will be given a real kick in the pants if you go with faster RAM and overclock it. Make sure you add in a nice low profile aftermarket CPU cooler. But if your CPU comes with the Wraith cooler that will probably suffice to do some overclocking.

Last edited:
Thank you, I guess I can sell two ram sticks I have and buy something better then.
What would be your suggestions?

Thank you guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think I am going to go with this case and it has it's own PSU 250 W. My pcpartpicker shows I will only need to cover 173W, so I think this PSu will be enough. On the other hand you were suggesting to oveclock my APU, I don't know if that will require bigger PSU. What do you think?

Thanks

Thank you, I guess I can sell two ram sticks I have and buy something better then.
What would be your suggestions?

Thank you guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think I am going to go with this case and it has it's own PSU 250 W. My pcpartpicker shows I will only need to cover 173W, so I think this PSu will be enough. On the other hand you were suggesting to oveclock my APU, I don't know if that will require bigger PSU. What do you think?

Thanks

Never, EVER, for the love of all that is holy, use a PSU that came with your case! They're cheaply made, they're prone to failure, and if it craps out it might take your whole system with it. If you want a cheaper PSU, go with the Corsair CX450M. $55 currently according to part picker and it's semi-modular.

A 250W CPU should cover overclocking the CPU without a problem. Our concern with the bundled PSU would be reliability. If a PSU goes out it can take RAM and motherboard with it. What is the brand and model of the PSU? If you frequent this forum over time you would see we get a steady stream of posters who have cheap PSU related problems. It is a foundational component and cutting corners with ii often leads to regret.

As to the RAM, the favorite brand around the forum is probably GSkill and I would recommend going up to 2133 or 2400 mhz. But if push comes to shove in the budget, put the PSU first.

Really, there are a lot of good choices for RAM and any of the major brands will do. GSkill, Corsair, Crucial, Adata, Muskin all make reliable products. Go for a low profile RAM heat sink because of the space issues in that case.

Last edited:
If you want a cheaper PSU, go with the Corsair CX450M. $55 currently according to part picker and it's semi-modular.

And that's actually pretty high for that PSU. I routinely see it in the $45 range. I've used the CX450 and CX750 in a few builds without issue. Can't go wrong with that or the EVGA.

And that's actually pretty high for that PSU. I routinely see it in the $45 range. I've used the CX450 and CX750 in a few builds without issue. Can't go wrong with that or the EVGA.

I recently purchased the CX450 M for under $40 after rebate. I think OP needs to look at a modular or semi modular unit because of space limitations.

I recently purchased the CX450 M for under $40 after rebate. I think OP needs to look at a modular or semi modular unit because of space limitations.

Yeah, the CX450M is $42 on Amazon right now. Add in another $7 worth of product and you get free shipping (unless you're already a Prime Member).

Yeah, the CX450M is $42 on Amazon right now. Add in another $7 worth of product and you get free shipping (unless you're already a Prime Member).

Here are some ideas for things to buy.
Some good thermal paste, RGB LED strips, Maybe some neat jewelry for your wife/gf :).

Here are some ideas for things to buy.
Some good thermal paste, RGB LED strips, Maybe some neat jewelry for your wife/gf :).

It's not the computers they complain about. It's the lack of shiny things being put in their hands when you decide to treat yourself to a $2000 beast. :p

It's not the computers they complain about. It's the lack of shiny things being put in their hands when you decide to treat yourself to a $2000 beast. :p

While they treat theirselves with 2000$ worth of stuff monthly :rofl:

[/COLOR]

This. The graphics performance will be given a real kick in the pants if you go with faster RAM and overclock it. Make sure you add in a nice low profile aftermarket CPU cooler. But if your CPU comes with the Wraith cooler that will probably suffice to do some overclocking.

Thanks,

I am definitely looking now at faster ram sticks. Please any advises on the fast ram compatible with low profile aftermarket CPU cooler are welcome. I started to look at GSKILL RAM and couldn't identify the way to search for LP.

:)

Oh yeah, I didn't realize, so if the apu comes with wraith cooler then I guess I don't really have to look for low profile RAM? Is that right? Niceeee...
So, I know that the max this MB supports is 2133 speed of RAM.
How about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231660&ignorebbr=1.
I don't really understand what is the difference is in between all same model but different coilors GSKILL RAM sticks. Like Eris vs Ripjaws, Vengeance. Is it all just about design?

Just curious :).

Thank you guys for your help... :)

2133 MHz is the default max for most motherboards. Anything over that is considered 'overclocked'. Download and peruse the mobo manual from Gigabyte, that should show you the real speeds you should be able to expect from your RAM. My mobo info states 2133 MHz, too. I'm running the XMP profile at 3000 MHz with no issues. :)

Last edited:
2133 MHz is the default max for all motherboards. Anything over that is considered 'overclocked'. Download and peruse the mobo manual from Gigabyte, that should show you the real speeds you should be able to expect from your RAM. My mobo info states 2133 MHz, too. I'm running the XMP profile at 3000 MHz with no issues. :)

He is looking too use ddr3 not ddr4 so 2133 is already overclocked. I did look up the specs on the mobo though and gigabyte lists a max speed of 2400mhz.

Low profile RAM is different than regular RAM that has low profile heatsinks. Low profile RAM has a shorter PCB than regular profile RAM. Regular RAM with low profile heatsinks have heatsinks without big fins on top.

The GSKill Aries line is regular RAM with low profile heatsinks, for instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=GSKill_Aries_DDR3-_-20-231-665-_-Product

Crucial Ballistic Tactical is actually low profile RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=low_profile_ram-_-20-148-656-_-Product

Back