• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU for virtualization?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandrock

I'm trying to decide on an A10-5800K vs FX-8320 for a small virtualization server. I would only be running maybe 4-6 VM's at any given time, this is for a home testing/research lab, so performance isn't crucial or anything. I can build a full system using the APU for about $200 less than the full-fledged FX cpu. Does anyone see anything wrong with using the APU for this purpose or have a real world recommendation?

What are these virtual machines going to be doing? If there is even a moderate processor load, I would get the FX unless there is less of a difference between the two processors than I think.

If they are going to be sitting idle or you absolutely don't care about the speed, go cheap. I don't have experience with those AMD processors, but my main file server is running two eight core G34 AMD Magny-Cours currently running six virtual machines.

Id have to second what thinderas says here. If they are going to be casual load then go for the APU, they lack the l3 cache so they are a bit slower clock for clock(in some workloads) than an FX but are still pretty potent chips.

I do IT work, so this is just my playground for trying out new software, testing things so I don't have to test things on our production network at work, studying for new certifications, etc. I'd be running two domain controllers, a member server, windows 7 client day to day, with maybe an additional server or two depending on what I'm playing around with at the time .

Pretty much as the other guys say.

The APU's all support AMD-V and therefore are suitable for running a hypervisor. If its just for learning / testing then a quad core fusion CPU would be fine. If you plan any load whatsoever then FX.

We have a fusion laptop at work and we run a few virtual machines on that for demo's etc, its always been fine.

Phenom II chips do not support all of the instructions on the newer chips, if hes specifically attempting to test newer virtualizable software a PH-II would be a step in the wrong direction.

Back