• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU Trinity Price Leaks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I care less about the prices and more about just having the bloody things released! I've been waiting long enough to upgrade my processor as I didn't want to buy into the current Bulldozers (not enough of an upgrade over what I have). These ones look like they'll just about be worth it.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's just Trinity. Doh! :bang head: Grrrr. I want my Piledriver. Surely it can't be long now? :(

I care less about the prices and more about just having the bloody things released! I've been waiting long enough to upgrade my processor as I didn't want to buy into the current Bulldozers (not enough of an upgrade over what I have). These ones look like they'll just about be worth it.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's just Trinity. Doh! :bang head: Grrrr. I want my Piledriver. Surely it can't be long now? :(

LOL...you know they made a movie on that feeling long time ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can't_Hardly_Wait

Im confused. Aint Trinity based on Piledriver?
Or are you waiting for the next FX platform? Is that Vishera?

amd-a10-gaming-benchmarks.jpg

this makes no sense to me. is this with the onboard video, in that case duh. but with outboard video card, does the i7/i5 still own for gaming?

amd-a10-gaming-benchmarks.jpg

this makes no sense to me. is this with the onboard video, in that case duh. but with outboard video card, does the i7/i5 still own for gaming?

It's Trinity with it's onboard Graphics vs the listed Intel's with there onboard Graphics. Gaming performance chip vs chip as a whole. (no discrete GPU)

Anyway.... if the A-10 is the same price as an i3, that's a big :thup:

It's Trinity with it's onboard Graphics vs the listed Intel's with there onboard Graphics. Gaming performance chip vs chip as a whole. (no discrete GPU)

Anyway.... if the A-10 is the same price as an i3, that's a big :thup:

Integrated graphics, onboard are not even close to the same thing...

The APU market is definitely pushing towards budget gaming, but also towards the general audience(inexpensive OEM boxes) and value per dollar is phenominal even with this gen. Trinity moves even more of the MOBO functions onto the chip directly, both a cost saver in mobo production, and provides a performance improvement. The APU is about as close to a SOC as the desktop market will see for a LONG time I imagine.
AMD however is trying to close the gap between the APU and the CPU and its theorized that the FMx platform might mark the end of the CPU's from AMD all together. If the effiency of dual graphics in trinity does better, and they push a modular unified asynchronous graphics configuration going forward it very well could be suitable for big gaming rigs as well.

Of course my dream would be fully socket modularity + asynch graphics. IE 1, 2, 4 APU systems buy as many cores as ya need and get a GPU boost to boot. Then when your done stick a single 89xx card in to have a BEAST machine!!!!! I doubt this is going to happen(not in the next generation anyway) but I bet that would challenge skt 2011 or whatever haswell is going to be on and kick nvidia where it counts to boot.

^+1^

I've seen alot of talk on the net saying that AMD is no longer going to compete in the high end CPU market (and once again that they're doomed). :eh?:
I have no inside info, but I believe AMD has all intentions of pushing APU's. If thats the case, then spin could make that sound like a bad thing...
After all, an APU isn't actually a CPU now is it? :p

Up to this point AMD's on-die graphics clearly dominate Intel.
If OpenCL and GPGPU could make up for the FP weakness of BD cores it should put them right back in the game... :)

I've always been a person who roots for the underdog, and I'm an admitted AMD fan.
That being said, I have faith in the whole modular idea and I'm not so quick to write them off!

Anyway, back OT. :D
Those prices look awesome! I might even get a 5700K and a 5800k... :cool:

but I believe AMD has all intentions of pushing APU's. = Their representatives have stated such. I am not going to go look for those links since the reps have been pretty widely quoted. There have been AMD big wheels state that they were n0t going to totally abandon what we call the 'desktop' market, but that they had no current intentions of competing for cpus in the ultra high end market.

Joe six-pack consumer; that is where the money is really driving the market, wants a computer phone or tablet. Data in the clouds. You don't need a big beige or black box for that. So the market will be driven by the greater monies and not a small percentage of users like us that overclock. AMD has to compete where they can and where users want to spend money. The Usa sadly is not the 'only' market any longer nor the tail that has wagged the dog.

Im glad AMD is pushing in this direction, staying relevant. Imagine if there was only 1 company making procs.

Personally I was an intel only user. But with the success of the I-series, prices are high. And to overclock we are limited to the price premium K series.

Having more fun with AMD definitely. Hope they continue to bring better price points.

Im glad AMD is pushing in this direction, staying relevant. Imagine if there was only 1 company making procs.

Personally I was an intel only user. But with the success of the I-series, prices are high. And to overclock we are limited to the price premium K series.

Having more fun with AMD definitely. Hope they continue to bring better price points.

Prices are high? $150ish for a quad core that clocks ridiculously high, chucks out unbelievable performance and will last many years to come is high priced?

Back