• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DigitalMonkey

I know there is one review out for this radiator, but does anyone know any other reviews for this rad?

Also, anyone have any experience or oc temps they willing to share using rad?

Thanks

I think Martin mentioned he was going to try to get one to test, but will probably be a while, but I am looking forward to seeing other tests as well. But given rad is quad pass instead of dual pass (also helps explain restriction), and all copper, not surprising it performs better, but I would want to see other tests as well to see if really that much better as that one test suggests.

One thing I like is it is all copper and solderless. Which means you could have a pure all copper loop, instead of brass/tin of our current rads.

Well I did contact AC about making an all copper 120.4 and 140.4 rads, but they said that they will start production on them later on this year.

Did Martin finish up his radiator testing bench? I remember him making one for his upcoming rad testing.

I think he was done with it or close via his posting here.

But just dont know when he will start rad testing, he just mentioned on xs airplex thread that he would like to test one of those, the normal size ones ?360/480/420, not the humogo ones. I would be interested to see the all copper vs the copper with aluminum fins, see how much difference, since some of difference is from quad pass and different size/smaller copper tubes.

One thing interesting with test you linked, the tester used 3 heaters to try and hold water temp constant at 32C and used a kill o watt meter to measure watts required at each testing difference + inlet/outlet temp, kind of different way of testing, dont know how/if that would affect results.

Seems more straightforward to keep the heat/watts constant on, and measure water temp difference. Unless the heaters would always be on as rads would constantly cool temp below 32C and kow meter was just to double check to insure same heat load, again why I would like to see other testing, preferably done in a more familiar way.

I would be interested to see the all copper vs the copper with aluminum fins, see how much difference, since some of difference is from quad pass and different size/smaller copper tubes.

Now thats something I would like to see. I haven't thought of that.

One thing interesting with test you linked, the tester used 3 heaters to try and hold water temp constant at 32C and used a kill o watt meter to measure watts required at each testing difference + inlet/outlet temp, kind of different way of testing, dont know how/if that would affect results.

Seems more straightforward to keep the heat/watts constant on, and measure water temp difference. Unless the heaters would always be on as rads would constantly cool temp below 32C and kow meter was just to double check to insure same heat load, again why I would like to see other testing, preferably done in a more familiar way.

Are you saying that having 3 heaters for that rad testing not realistic?

not the 3 heaters, just the weird having the heaters presumably switch on/off and using killowatt meter to then keep track of average "heat" applied to each test. Wonder if induces error based on efficiency if heater is off on more tests than others. His testing heaters were set at 32C, so when water is 32C heaters would switch off.

Versus straight forward, heaters on all the time so you know the heat dump is exactly the same, and only measuring the temp differences with rads, less chance for error that way.

may not make that much of difference, just dont understand the rational for testing that way.

I just ordered the 120.2 with the Laing D5 pump. I should get it early next week. I got the one with copper fins all together it cost me $360 shipped..

We have our own testing of the AC AMS480 (aluminum & copper finned) single-circuit rads upcoming.

Here is our teaser thread....

So i finally got mine in. I got the 240 with copper fins and d5 pump. Its sitting on top of my little lian-li pc-q08. I used 15mm spacers with m3 threads on one end and m3 screw on the other. I mounted the radiator over the 120mm opening. It looks sharp and has a good even weight distribution meaning that the weight of the pump counter balances the overhanging weight in from. Ill take some pics to give you guys a better idea. Otherwise, I love it. Its solid built and the engineering is super. +1 for the Germans who always know how to engineer greatness..

Yea, post results in a few months, thanks. Please no obscene language in your link like the current linked thread. And no Swiftech rads? A leader in the WC world? Maybe not in TX I guess.

loool, I just went and read that thread...that was a good laugh to start my (very early) day.

Some more test results on AMS, finally. Martin tested this radiator as did Bundymania, dont know if anyone linked them yet. Martin published results here, Bundymania just commented that he tested it and that it was not best rad, post 2&3. So both found the AMS rad was not as good as other top rads. Also rad is highly restrictive so will decrease cpu waterblock performance in loop from large reduction in flow. Looks like the alphacool nexus ut60 performs pretty well at most fan speeds in both Martins and Bundymanias tests.

:shock:let`s see Martins test in pushpull fans !
there is some misconfiguring at him`s testsetup - in /out water to air flow direction. maybe i`m wrong but how AMS 360 performs outstending at low air flow, contrary at high flowin fans it downfalls!

kinda reminds me of the old days when people would use ac condensors as radiators. being pure copper it might do alright, definite a very low pressure drop with the large tubes, but less heat exchanged as less water is in contact with the tube walls. thats why flattened tube radiators are as effective as they are.
one thing id like to see is pure copper bar/plate construction similar to air/air intercoolers for cars. those things drop insane heat loads efficiently.

I love the idea of the airplex if you buy the tower for it. but why not just do somthing similar with less expensive 3x or 4x radiators?

Back