• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Arctic Freezer 13 Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Known for their thermal interface material (which is used in all of my reviews), Artic has sent over the Freezer 13 heatsink for testing. This cooler can handle up to a 200 watt heatload according to their specifications. Our test system can easily match or exceed this wattage, so it will be easy to test Artic's claim. There is some pretty formidable competition within this price point, so this review will explore how this cooler stacks up to its peers.

... Return to article to continue reading.

just got its yesterday, if you ask me its kinda the same with the i5 2500 stock heatsink + fan when idle but when it gets a heavy load its where this baby beats it not to bad for $30

So, Not short enuff for a HTPC, and less capable than others...

For a hot ambient user without a deep caes and no money to upgrade to a performance case, it's almost... good.

Thanks for the review, sorry you had to reviewit, doing the top stuff reviews is so much more fun.

Opened eyes to what really matters. I 'hates' on marketig hype.

Yeah, I wish they had sent me the Freezer 13 Pro instead of this one. When I got it I knew they were in trouble as far as price/performance goes, since the Hyper 212+ is on the market. The Freezer 13 Pro is bigger and uses a 120mm sized fan, which might let it handle high heatload better plus the Pro is only around $5-10 more. But, it does have it's uses for some folks. And for a lesser heat monster such as SB or an I3 it would do well too. I will give them their kudos for designing a push pin setup that doesn't require mobo removal and doesn't suck.:D

did a build for my friend with this heatsink the other day. it was a pain to put on with an AMD system, however it did hold pretty dang good temperatures! hopefully i can get a little more juice out of the system overclocking it! it holds cold enough temperatures to get a pretty decent overclock!

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain to install on AMD and I don't like the fact that it won't let you orient the heatsink the way you want to orient it. That is where the Hyper 212 just kills this heatsink for AMD systems. The AMD mount for the Hyper 212+ is designed to where you can orient to mount either in a north-south or east-west configuration. And I didn't test cooling on AMD, but would assume that it should work adequately and even give you some overclocking headroom. After all, it was able to cool that Bloomfield I test with at 4 GHz, which is no mean feat in itself.

Well it works great on a 2500K with standard height ram (had toreplace my tridents) and keeps temps good up to 5+ with a well vented case.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it's working well for you, Archer. I figured it would work well on a 2500k, since it's not nearly the heat monster that Bloomfield turned out to be. :thup: And while I found their AMD mounting system to be somewhat lacking, their Intel mount is definitely first class.

Back