• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the original Doom/Quake 2/Duke nukem 3d/Heretic games still fun to play ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I was thinking about getting the old Doom games from 20 years. What was your experience playing them again can they be fun and be taken seriously. I guess what I'm asking is once I get them and install them will I feel like playing the game seriously or is it just going to feel like a nostalgia trip where it will be fun for like 5 mins but actually playing through the whole game it's like no way I can put up with this. I was also thinking about Quake 2,Duke nukem 3d,Heretic to play again too. When I start a game I intend to finish it, I've played these games before a long time ago, but playing them today I just want to know if it will be like once I start then 5 mins later realize no way can I play this again and then stop. I understand your probably thinking well just see for yourself and yes I can do that but wanted to hear from you guys experience on how it felt replaying these classics today. thanks

I got the Id software pack on Steam during a sale which includes the original Doom games, Quake, Hexen, and I believe a few others. While they are fun to whip out for 5 minutes every now and then, there were times where I would sit down for an hour or so and actually put some time into them. If you can get by the aging graphics, I feel as though they've retained at least some of their original fun.

I enjoy playing through them every once in a while for the nostalgia factor.

I too bought the the id pack on steam and for me it was worth it. I was a die hard DooM 2 and Quake 2 guy. Totally worth it!

For what its worth there are lots of mods out there for DooM that allow it to scale up to 1080 and they also make it look better. I have one installed that allows for looking up and down (this also takes away the auto aiming for things above and below you).

They look so bad now... not really to me... though back in the doom days, I made my own maps and those are fun to run around through. Otherwise, the answer to this question lay solely with you, who is actually going to play the game. ;0

I made some maps also! Still have most of them. We used to play deathmatch over the phone modem to modem with friends.. Best gaming ever.

Wonder if anyone still plays Quake 3?
Yes I go online to play quake live now and then. Makes people angry because I cant remember the maps but I can rocket jump and lay a shot on... Like riding a bike only with much more angry competitors in the milk race.

Edit: the old shotgun to the head while you run past also makes people happy.

Reflexes are too slow to take it serious. I cant be bothered to even use the keys to quick draw weapons. So anyone who does make it their life creams me. :D

Retro shoot em ups... My favourite

Last edited:
kinda like, i know hamburgers are but are they still good eating? for those of that grew up on those games, they will always be fun play. my tops, decent/decent2, heretic,hexen, and yes i still love Wolfenstien3D(the original FPS!).

O how can i forget the RTS that started it all for me, in that genre Dune2! FYI dune 2 was before Warcraft/warcraft 2...

All I can remember from Doom was the musical score and amazing (for the time) sound effects. I liked Heretic better though, mostly because they added the revolutionary feature to be able to look (gasp) down and up!

Of friggen course! :D

Duke 3d, Blood 1 and 2, Doom 1 and 2 and the expansions (never played doom 3 xD), unreal tournament, quake 1,2 and 3 specially...awesome games.

Newer games tend to lack in the gameplay deparment more often than not, or rely on gimmicky graphics or features to hook people up.

I'd say, get Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 while at it, by far my favorite game heh

I can't speak for the DOOM games, but I still go back and play the Marathon games every now and again. I imagine if those are still good, the DOOM series should hold up as well.

gzdoom2-1920.jpg

I realize the thread is a bit dated but I wanted to would throw up a tantalizing screen shot of Doom2 using the gzdoom mod.

It allows for native resolution (I am at 1920 x 1080). It also incorporates mlook, jump and crouch (both of which would be cheating on some maps!).

Its pretty fun!

yea the old game is still fun... could you think of them actually doing doom/doom2 remastered on the say the even the Doom3 engine or the Quake4. does the new wolfenstien game use and ID engine? i dont recall seeing that talked about, hmm if modding is possible the new wolfenstien game could be doom/doom2 time.

Wolfenstein the new order does use the I'd tech5 engine, but rumors are it's the last installment in the I'd engine.

well that sucks, ID was the only one i knew of that made great OpenGL engines... I guess time for someone else to step up to the plate...

Back