• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any wireless/wired combo switches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

Well, I am trying to get rid of my firewall (kinda stupid, but I will use a software firwall), but also be able to connect 3 computers wired and 1 computer wireless from the same hub/switch. Do they make these? Or is my only choice a wired/wireless router combo?

I have only seen the router units. Prices for wireless routers are pretty cheap these days, and you can just set the router up to act as an AP only, bridging the ethernet segment with the wireless segment, that way all of your hosts that you set wireless, get the same IP addressing if you have DHCP enabled.

What is a good, cheapish wireless/wired router combo? And will my preformance suffer if I use two routers in the network, I want to seperate my man, fileserver, web rig network from my sister's while still sharing the same broadband connection.

Im pretty sure the Linksys wrtg54 can do all this and it can be found relatively cheaply online, and you can tweak it with aftermarket firmware, I've had nothing but good luck with mine.

That is actually how I have my Wireless router set up. I have my main router which is connected to the cable modem the I have a cable run to my room where I have a switch which connects my computers then I have a wireless router with DHCP turned off just acting as an access point for my laptops. The router was cheaper than an access point at the time;)

I agree with the folks ... any wireless router out there can do the job you want .. just open up all ports (1 - 65535) and you won't have any trouble running any apps .. that's what I do :D

nut581 said:
I agree with the folks ... any wireless router out there can do the job you want .. just open up all ports (1 - 65535) and you won't have any trouble running any apps .. that's what I do :D

What? Just set it so that it is not being a router. and then it will not block ports so you don't have to forward all the ports. But I guess on some they make it so you can't in which case you might have to do it that way.

Using the two routers should'nt cause any problems for your network. I have a similar setup. The only possible problem is if you directly access the servers from the internal LAN if you pass through the WAN port of one of the routers to reach the segment that the servers are on. This is due in part to the WAN ports on most routers do not go faster than 10mbps. The only "common" routers that i have seen that have 10/100 WAN ports are the Netgears that are blue and in a metal chassis. These 99% of the time have 100mbps WAN ports.

But, like i said. You should'nt notice any problems. Besides, I am willing to bet your net connection doesn't even approach 10mbps. :)

So, I just use the cable already in my room, put a switch on it, have 2 cables straight to the main and file rigs, and then a cable going to a wireless router for the laptop? Sounds easy enough! Thanks for the help guys.

I am offering a hotspot at my house and am doing so by using 1 wired and 1 wireless router and those using the wireless cannot see my LAN and Vice Versa. How I accomplished this is the routers are different brands wired=linksys and the wireless=DLink so their IP address are different. the linksys is 192.168.1.1 and the DLINK is 192.168.0.1 which allows me to leave DHCP on in both routers.

I connect the modem to the hardwired linksys. I then connect the DLINK wireless to the linksys. (Lynksys LANport --->DLINK WAN port). THe Dlink accepts the linksys's DHCP IP address as an external IP and the dlink is able to send out its own Internal IP's to wireless connections. The wireless connections are all 192.168.0.1XX while my LAN computers all have Internal IP's of 192.168.1.1XX because they are getting them from the linksys. But all the computers are able to connect to the net but the wireless can't see the wired and vice-versa. You wouldn't be able to do this with the same companies routers because they both would be producing the same subnet DHCP internal IP's and you'd get conflicts.......

so you could totally separate your sister wirelessly from your server stuff.. Plus you wouldnt have to worry much from prying eyes if your wireless network becomes compromised....

Fightingpiper said:
You wouldn't be able to do this with the same companies routers because they both would be producing the same subnet DHCP internal IP's and you'd get conflicts.......

Yes you can. You just have to hook up the router to just one computer and change the subnet it uses and the IP is uses. You can even do it with just one wireless router if I am not mistaken putting the wireless clients on there own subnet so they can not access your computers on the other subnet but can still access the internet.

Edit: I think to do it with the just a wireless router you need one that has the ability. But if you are doing it with a wired router and a wireless router just change the subnet mask and the IP the wireless router uses:D

Last edited:
I'm not worried about "prying eyes" or my sister, I don't care for them to be totally seperate, just have it so she thinks that she has nothing to do with my little setup. Living out in the country with no neighbors makes for a fairly safe area for everything, so if someone comes near my house trying to get at my files, they would be trespassing and I could shoot them and say they were hiding or it was dark :D .

Two seperate subnets.

First ip: 192.168.0.65
last ip: 192.168.0.126
mask: 255.255.255.192

Next subnet:

Just play the numbers game and assign IP's for your network equipment now.

shooting people for trespassing? there are other preventive measure such as turn on WPA w/ Mac filter, turning off SSID Broadcasting and changing the factory password that can provide enought security for the causal hacker, true that any $200 machine running on UNIX with the right tool can get into your system but casual hacker aren't going to that extend.

AFIsoldier said:
I'm not worried about "prying eyes" or my sister, I don't care for them to be totally seperate, just have it so she thinks that she has nothing to do with my little setup. Living out in the country with no neighbors makes for a fairly safe area for everything, so if someone comes near my house trying to get at my files, they would be trespassing and I could shoot them and say they were hiding or it was dark :D .

Ahh... you must be from texas :D

WiNd said:
shooting people for trespassing? there are other preventive measure such as turn on WPA w/ Mac filter, turning off SSID Broadcasting and changing the factory password that can provide enought security for the causal hacker, true that any $200 machine running on UNIX with the right tool can get into your system but casual hacker aren't going to that extend.

He means that if someone is close enough to get a signal from his wireless lan that thye are on his property and can be shot for trespassing:eek: Remember kids, trespassing in Texas (or wherever he is from) could get you shot and killed;)

Well if we are talking about controlling transmit power, one could always buy a Linksys WRT54G and flash the firmware to a Linux variant, and then control the transmit power. Drop the transmit power and there you go.

Kendan said:
He means that if someone is close enough to get a signal from his wireless lan that thye are on his property and can be shot for trespassing:eek: Remember kids, trespassing in Texas (or wherever he is from) could get you shot and killed;)

I know im not from texas but orignally from the bay area. but shooting someone for traspassing can still get you lot of trouble without a reasonable cause. so that why its better to prepare and plan for security awareness before its too late. That reminds me, do you think airplane capt so be allow to bear arms???

Well it depends on where you are. I am sure there are places where tresspassing can get you shot with no fear of the shooter getting in trouble. Which reminds me of the story of the burglar who breaks his leg while robbing someones house, then succesfully suing the homeowner for his broken leg:eek: I say if they break in my house they gave up every right they had when they intruded on my property and I should be allowed to shoot them at will. Now that is a detterent that works not some laws that I can't do anything to them even if they broke into my house:( But I digress .

Back