• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these temps normal/safe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbp216

hi I'm new to the forum and i have a question about my oc

I have a phenom ii x4 955 oced to 4.2ghz on air at 1.40v
im getting idle temps ~36C-39C usage temps ~41C-43C during normal use, and 58C max after a few hours of prime95 or about 30 minutes of y-cruncher

I use this comp for a lot of emulators so the higher frequency in nice to have as they dont make use of my gpu... i was wondering 1. if these temps are normal for this oc and 2. if in your opinion you would leave it running this way or back off the clock to decrease temps.... I plan on upgrading my cpu in 2 years so lifespan is not that big of a deal

thanks

Your temps are at the upper boundary of what most consider safe and stable for overclocked AMD CPUs. Conventional wisdom and the experience of the overclocking community says mid 50's C. is about the limit of safe and stable.

What surprises me is that you are able to achieve 4.2 with only 1.4v. Is 1.4 what you have it set in bios or is that what one of the Windows monitoring utilities (like Coretemp or HWmonitor) says? What you set it to in bios may not reflect what is actually being applied in use after LLC compensations for vdroop and vdrop. Usually, for overclocks that high people need 1.5v or more. What cooler are you using?

Back