• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are you happy with your P5B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
freeagent said:
as much as i loved my nf7, i hated it to, these boards are so much better then the old ones, theres just no competition...
hmm.. sorry don't quite understand what you're saying. :confused: You loved your nf7 but you hated your nf7?

and i dont have to press any key tp continue after the jmicron screen comes up :shrug:

hmm.. please tell more. Do you have anything connected to the jmicron EIDE or jmicron SATA port? Which p5b bios you're using?

MadMan007 said:
There's a difference between performance for something that runs for hours and hours versus something that is done very infrequently. 5% of CPU speed could over time could mean a lot, 5% boot time once or twice a day is a lot less meaningful. And you don't even have to use the JMicron if you get a SATA optical drive. Plus how often to you reboot AFK?

If that's the worst thing one has to say about the board with the current state of drivers and BIOS which seem good :shrug:

Well you have a point there. But 5% CPU don't mean a whole lot you know.. the CPU is idle all the time unless you're folding/SETI/gaming on all C2D cores.

Anyways. I'm currently still finetuning the system, so lots of rebooting. And the "press a key to continue" absolutely drives me crazy. Hopefully JMicron engineers will see this and fix it in their future products.

kokomo said:
hmm.. please tell more. Do you have anything connected to the jmicron EIDE or jmicron SATA port? Which p5b bios you're using?

i loved it because it was a great ocer, i hated it becasue when it got unstable, i usually had to reinstal windows :beer:

i just have my dvd burner hooked to the ide port. as for what bios im useing, its 1004

Really like mine. Changed from an MSI 975x Platinum. Can run my e6600 stable at 3.8 where could only do 3.4 before. Love being able to flash the bios via thumb drive too.

freeagent said:
i loved it because it was a great ocer, i hated it becasue when it got unstable, i usually had to reinstal windows :beer:

i just have my dvd burner hooked to the ide port. as for what bios im useing, its 1004

I wonder if your JMicron BIOS is newer. Check the version on the right in my screenshot and compare please.

I have most of the problems listed above and it's kind of crappy. I don't think it's worth the cost, and I'm pretty miffed about the onboard sound (hopefully a driver thing) but I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning it.

MadMan007 said:
I wonder if your JMicron BIOS is newer. Check the version on the right in my screenshot and compare please.

its the same as yours, 1.06.59

im curious, do you have to press a key to continue after the screen loads? this board came with bios 05xx i think, and ive used 0711, 0804..?, 09xx...? and now 1004, and i havent had to press a key to continue, it just went on its own. thats pretty weird id say:confused:

freeagent said:
its the same as yours, 1.06.59

im curious, do you have to press a key to continue after the screen loads? this board came with bios 05xx i think, and ive used 0711, 0804..?, 09xx...? and now 1004, and i havent had to press a key to continue, it just went on its own. thats pretty weird id say:confused:

Did you have to wait the 3 seconds for it move on

I've had no problems with my P5B...

Onboard sound is... onboard sound...

Matrix Raid works fine... did you do a complete format or quick format?

My G15 works fine in BIOS, my mouse has never messed up in windows...

Only gripe I have is the CMOS switch is in a weird location, but I've only had to use that once... and only because the power went out in my home while I was at work...

freeagent said:

That's how mine and apparently everyone else's is then.

Just to be clear it's not required to press the key to continue booting. It's just an option there to skip the pause when the JMicron loads.

For the mobo's ive owned, the p5b-d is by far the best, it overclocks nice, its stable.

The only negative point of the p5b is probably the intergrated sound, which sucks bad, but that can be solved by an easy soundcard upgrade.
For now i havent had any bad experiences with the p5b, for me its an good mobo overall.

I seriously dont get it why people find that 3-5 second delay so annoying...most of the time when i start my pc up im doing somthing else, not for long because it starts up pretty fast :p , those 3 seconds seriously dont matter at all, its not like you could've saved your life if those 3 seconds werent there...

p5b deluxe wifi here - love it to bits :D ace motherboard and stable as hell....
have jmicron ide on, no drivers for it installed, never use onboard audio and the wifi is disabled too...

Battle_Rattle said:
No... It was too easy to overclock... and im serious, that actually detracts from the board... Call me stupid, but thats the way i feel

lol.. OK, stupid. :beer:

Thats like saying you enjoy Dell support for the challenge.... ;)

Seriously, though...
I really enjoy this MB, however my recent issue with long delay times initializing the USB controllers is irking me a bit.

I didn't buy it for the onboard sound... on the contrary, I'd rather it didn't have on-board sound. I can't get the functionality I need out of on-board sound.

I agree with everyone, though - the JMicron "Press any key.." dialog is ridiculous, although a minor annoyance at worst...

i have p5b deluxe running on vista ultimate 64 bit ,and works perfect no problems @all i also didnt install the jmicron controller and i also disable it from bios sound is also great running bios 0910 ........

So I take if from the above post that all the drivers for the P5B-Del Wifi are now out for vista? I was wondering about switching over. People had said on forums that the matrix raid wasn't working right and then the release of a P5B Vista board made me worry. maybe now I'll give Vi$ta a shot. I'm very reluctant because XP media center is working great and I hear the performance isn't so hot game wise.

Back