• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS/400 Cruncher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taloah

Does anyone know if AS400s can cruch very fast? They are RISC chips, but have no FPU. I have 2 sitting about 10 feet from me right now. One is very old, the other is brand spacking new. I might try to talk the owner of out parent company into letting me put it on the old one which no one really uses to show him that there is no proformance hit. Then try to get him to let me put it on the new one.

We also have a RISK6000 sitting on a shelf not even plugged in. It was from a company they we bought out, no one knows what to do with it. It has AIX for the O/S and I saw an AIX client on the seti page while looking at the 400 stuff.

If I can get 3 mainframes crunching for team Overclockers and those 12 P4 at my college we might be able to move up a place or two.

AS/400 aren't really mainframes they are minis. In terms of seti performance don't expect miracles. Check out the the averagage times page on the S@H website for a rough indication of their times.

Back