• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[ASK] Nvidia 820m : Clock Drop Suddenly. What happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wataru junior

Hi all.
Not sure what happened to my GPU.
I was overclocking my Nvidia 820m. I set the graphic clock from 625Mhz to 800Mhz (actually it's detected 720Mhz Min and 954.6 Mhz Max) and memory clock from 900Mhz to 1080Mhz. I was using Nvidia Control Panel and Asus GPU Tweak.

And then when I was playing game, for a while ( around 1-2 hours ) everything run well. Temp max is 74 C. And then I tried to raise the memory clock to 1100Mhz ( 2200 Mhz effective ) to get better FPS ( I thought ). Run well to for a while, but suddenly the clock drop fro all things. Graphic, Memory, Shadder core drop to below default clock. I really don't know what happened. I thought my GPU crash. So I try to put the clock to it's default clock, nothing happened. And then I restarted my Laptop. And it's back up normal again. So, what was happening to my GPU? Is my GPU damaged ?

Thanks for any advances.

It's throttling to keep from damaging itself, sounds like it got too hot.

Clean out the laptop with some air. It may help with the temps, but as ATM said, you are being throttled.

Yep x2. ^^

There really isn't much to gain from overclocking vRAM anyway, so I would leave it at your last stable setting.

Back