• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 without the 990FX Chipshet - What Gives?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't waste my time Blaylock, they sent you the wrong board. Just don't take No for an answer.

I agree with 'johan' that whatever the deal is it is wrong. It is showing wrong in the CPU-z and that is shett. I looked up the specs for the chipset you say is on the board according to the read out we see and the chipset that it says is on the mobo does not even support but 4 Sata 3.0 devices and not 6 Sata 6.0 devices. No Usb 3.0 on that wonky chipset either.

Now the chipsets have hard programmed firmware in them and maybe you have a poorly programmed chipset that is wave soldered onto your mobo but that is still shett to have your board look like it is broken when it was sent to be fixed and not half-arse fixed.
RGone...

Here is the "first contact" email I just sent out. Short and to the point. I can elaborate on the second E-mail.

Deisy,

I'm sorry to inform you that the RMA (#E407A8) board that was sent back to me does not meet the same system specs of the original board that I purchased. I have just recently discovered that the chipset is NOT a 990FX North Bridge and SB910 South Bridge, but an SR5650 North Bridge and SP5100 South Bridge. This SR5650 chipset is not compatible with several of the software programs that this board was intended to run. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can rectify this situation.

Best Regards,

John Nester

I called the number today as I hadn't heard from them yet and got a direct line to Deisy. It sounds like she's going to RMA this one for a replacement. I just hope the next one has the correct chipset. She didn't sound to positive what chipset it would have in it. I said well, if it's a 990FX board it should have a 990 chipset. Sounds reasonable to me, NO?

I called the number today as I hadn't heard from them yet and got a direct line to Deisy. It sounds like she's going to RMA this one for a replacement. I just hope the next one has the correct chipset. She didn't sound to positive what chipset it would have in it. I said well, if it's a 990FX board it should have a 990 chipset. Sounds reasonable to me, NO?
You would think!

I am betting that AMD no longer even makes the 990FX chipset as a unit. Time has gone bye and AMD is likely on to other things. Might be why Asrock had an issue finding or at least using the correct chipset.
RGone...

Well that would be pretty crappy if they sent out another board without the correct chipset.

All about customer service bro. Which I must say ASrock sucks, guy thinks hes super ub3r 1337 and the rest of us are n00bs. First response all the time F9 to reset bios to defaults... DUH

My best part about calling them is the receptionist :D

They all do.

I have to disagree. So far my experience with ASRock has been fairly pleasant. This is my 2nd RMA for this board. The first board had a boot error that kept cycling every now and then. Once I proved to tech support that it was the board and nothing else (buy swapping everything onto a different board) I had an RMA approval within 24hours. This board was sent to me with a different chipset that the 990FX as you have probably read by now. I've been using it for 5 months with no issues. In fact I might have never known if I hadn't started benching on it. AOD was erroring out saying it's not supported. The same with the asrock Xtreme tuning utility. That's when I noticed in CPUz the incorrect chipset.

Once I called CS I got a straight line to my service rep. No automated machines mind you. A human being answered the phone. She agreed in minutes to issue the 2nd RMA. And sent a shipping label with it.

As of right now I'm very pleased with them. Now my fingers are crossed that they send the correct one this time.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. So far my experience with ASRock has been fairly pleasant. This is my 2nd RMA for this board. The first board had a boot error that kept cycling every now and then. Once I proved to tech support that it was the board and nothing else (buy swapping everything onto a different board) I had an RMA approval within 24hours. This board was sent to me with a different chipset that the 990FX as you have probably read by now. I've been using it for 5 months with no issues. In fact I might have never known if I hadn't started benching on it. AOD was erroring out saying it's not supported. The same with the asrock Xtreme tuning utility. That's when I noticed in CPUz the incorrect chipset.

Once I called CS I got a straight line to my service rep. No automated machines mind you. A human being answered the phone. She agreed in minutes to issue the 2nd RMA. And sent a shipping label with it.

As of right now I'm very pleased with them. Now my fingers are crossed that the send the correct one this time.

Hey, that's good to know. One thing I've always liked about ASRock is I think they have the most user friendly web site of all the mobo manufacturers.

Back