• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme 4 not recognizing hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kwhitcomb

I have an ASRock z77 Extreme 4 mbo and it does not recognize all of my hard drives. It has a total of 8 sata ports. I have connected 2 optical drives and 4 1tb hdd's. The problem is only 2 of the 4 hdd's show up in the bios. I have tried different ports, switched cables and checked power. All ports work, the cables are good and the power is good, but the additional hard drives do not show up. I am using Win 7 64 bit, and everything works great, except for the ability to see the additional drives. Any recommendations?:bang head

Are the HDDs connected to the Z77 or ASMedia controller ports? Also from what I've read, for whatever reason some older HDDs aren't being detected by that boards UEFI. What's the current BIOS revision?

Last edited:
I have to wonder if there is a bad batch of these boards going around. I had 2 boards tis week have issues that made me return them. Not SATA issues but other things. Finally I gave up and am now using my MSI. As you can see in my sig, its running my 3570k quite nicely.

Oh wow! I found the problem. I had three hard drives that were originally used for my nas for about a month before I returned the enclosure. I tried to reuse the drives and for some reason they no longer worked. Very odd but I have since replaced them and everything works fine. Thanks for your input guys.

Oh wow! I found the problem. I had three hard drives that were originally used for my nas for about a month before I returned the enclosure. I tried to reuse the drives and for some reason they no longer worked. Very odd but I have since replaced them and everything works fine. Thanks for your input guys.

Glad you got it fixed, I take used hard drives and put a note on them. :thup:

I can't see why using a NAS RAID array would lock the hard drives.

Sounds like they may have gotten ATA-password'ed. (ATA-locked)

Back