• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock IES and Asrock x79 Extreme 4: doesn't work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

The Asrock IES utility is supposed to reduce the number of phases used by the VRM's when under light loading. I'm only using this on my XP 32-bit install, because the windows 7 64-bit power profiles work fine. OK, so using the Asrock eXtreme Tuning Utility I turn IES on. It looks like the Vcore drops (from 1.120V to 1.086V), CPU-Z seems to confirm this. But on the IES menu the number of CPU power phases is still the same at 6. The Asrock description of the IES utility indicates it's supposed to reduce the number of power phases when enabled. Asrock indicates IES isn't supported for any x79 motherboards, but the product page says it does.

I notice you overclock this system... do you have any power saving features disabled in the bios or have the high power setting in windows power? Perhaps it needs them to work? I do not use any power saving features at all so I am just guessing here.

I may be missing it on the product page, but I do not see it listed there either...: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79 Extreme4/. I have to imagine it may not work? Not sure though. Sorry.

Last edited:
I notice you overclock this system... do you have any power saving features disabled in the bios or have the high power setting in windows power? Perhaps it needs them to work? I do not use any power saving features at all so I am just guessing here.

I may be missing it on the product page, but I do not see it listed there either...: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79 Extreme4/. I have to imagine it may not work? Not sure though. Sorry.

The product page does mention it down in the AXTU - The All-in-1 Tuning Software section.

There's not much documentation on IES -- nothing in the motherboard manual.

Well I just noticed in control panel --> power options --> power scheme there's an option to select Asrock eXtreme Power Utility. I'll select that and
see what happens.

Indeed. But that is a copy/paste. Most board makers do not change things that may or not be available sadly.

Hopefully that works out for you if it is indeed supported. :)

IES appears to do something w/this board, it drops the Vcore when the system is idling and cranks it back up under load. In power schemes I can select Asrock eXtreme Power Utility and apply it, but when I come back it's always set to Minimal Power Management. I wish I could the system to drop the CPU multiplier (like it does in Windows 7). I also wish the OC DNA would work so I could load my low power BIOS scheme on the fly.

Back