• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock X299 - anyone know how to do Per Core clocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

custom90gt

Hey!
I just started playing with my 7920x in my Asrock X299 Professional Gaming i9 and it's been an interesting experience. It's been really fun but also frustrating. This CPU doesn't like to do above 4.3ghz all core without more voltage than my H115i can manage under prime95 (don't like temps in the high 90s). Right now I'm 24 hour prime95 stable at 4.3ghz @ 1.1v. I would like to get 2-4 cores to run at say 4.6ghz for games and 4.3ghz when more cores are active, but I can't seem to figure it out. With my asus x99 system the per core stuff looked really easy. This Asrock board is not intuitive at all. Anyone have an asrock x299 board that could comment?

On the first page there are CPU ratio settings, on the list I have all cores, per core and specific per core. When I pick specific per core then I can enter one more tab where are settings for cores.
Btw. I wasn't sure what was mesh frequency at first ... and it's cache. I was able to enter Windows and run tests at 3200MHz cache.

On the first page there are CPU ratio settings, on the list I have all cores, per core and specific per core. When I pick specific per core then I can enter one more tab where are settings for cores.
Btw. I wasn't sure what was mesh frequency at first ... and it's cache. I was able to enter Windows and run tests at 3200MHz cache.

I tried the per core and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be putting in, lol. I'll have to try the specific per core and set each core up. Sounds like I've got a ton of work for myself, thank god I have next week off. These 70-80 hour weeks in surgery are killer.

Also mine is called CPU Mesh Max in the cpu configuration page. I couldn't get windows to boot with 3200mhz even at 1.2v for the mesh. Sadly higher mesh voltages puts extra load on this AIO. Right now with prime95 running throttle stop estimates that the cpu is using 315W...

Cough cough time for a better loop =)
3x120 + 2x120 =) should help

Hah I wish I had a single real loop vs an AIO. Sadly I've got my Fractal Define R5 all filled up with 8TB hard drives and SSDs, lol. Only have room for a 2x240mm rad...

So just tried specific per core settings and it's a no go. It will only run up to 3.8ghz all core with it. I may have to email asrock support, but it's probably just a broken feature.

I can't figure out how to get Specific per core clocking to work so I've emailed ASROCK. I'll let you guys know when/if I figure it out. They at least seem pretty responsive and have even been testing a 7920x to make sure.

i think i can help:

Set ur specific core stuff, leave the menu. Switch to all core mode again. Set the highest multi u set un specific. Keep voltages and all on auto in the other menue. Thats it.

But i face a weird throtteling with ~400W package power and i cant figure out how to solve that. 18 Cores draw some power but all is on water an coole and there are no limits configured. Same board.

Have you heard back custom?

So Asrock was very responsive (at first) in trying to figure this out. Basically what I was told is that per core allows you to set the specific turbo boost for that core but if all cores are loaded it reverts back to the stock all core turbo. I am trying to figure out if there is a way around this but I haven't heard anything back from them. I know my Asus x99 setup allowed me to do a specific turbo speed per the amount of cores that were active, but so far it seems like the Asrock is a no go there.

I may have to try Krautmaster's suggestion but no time to play with it yet.

So I just re-emailed the contact at Asrock. I don't think they are picking up what I'm putting down though.

I explained that per core clocking allows me to run the specific core at that speed but when I have all the cores active it only runs at 3.8ghz (the stock all-core). I hope they can figure something out.

Just got word from Asrock. Their response is to use Intel XTU to control turbo speeds based on the amount of cores in use. There is no way to change the default all-core turbo in bios nor specify the turbo speed per clock.

Unfortunate for me since I like to do my OCing before windows and besides XTU is buggy...

Back