• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock z390 Taichi: remove WiFi PCIe card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

As long as I have wired network connections I'll never use WiFi so I'd like to simply remove the WiFi PCIe(?) card. I'm sure removing it would save me some power usage too. What would be the ramifications of doing so? Would it cause the POST to fail?

It doesn't look too difficult to remove:

Attachments

• X4pjjMk.jpg
    X4pjjMk.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 61
The power you save wonÂ’t even be worth the time spent removing it.

Consider I now run my rig 24-7-365, I wonder how true that is? I'd imagine transmitting/receiving WiFi signals would take at least as much power as a NIC -- maybe more.

I'll look into that bug freak, but even if its disabled (a PCIe card can be disabled?) wouldn't it still be using power?

Disable it in the bios. It won't use any power that way.

As was said, it barely uses any power in the first place.. look it up. Not worth the effort to even disable (to save power) honestly. Over the year 24/7 it probably costs a dollar at most. :rofl:

Also, enabled and in use are clearly two different things. With wifi disabled (while using my LAN) it doesn't even show up in task manager. But yeah, if you're really curious, look up the power use for your card... ;)

To answer the question, it won't hurt anything to yank it out either.

I wouldn't bother removing it. Just disable it in the bios. If the wifi card isn't installed, it won't use any power. I have wifi on my board and I don't use it. It's disabled and doesn't bother me.

Back