• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 CPU socket position / True Spirit 140 in Zalman Z11?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MakoShark

Registered
I'm going to be upgrading to a ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, i5 3570K, and Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140mm. My case is a Zalman Z11 Plus which is only wide enough for the height of the true spirit under the side window as it bulges out.

Can anyone tell me how far the CPU socket is from the top of the motherboard so I can check if it will be low enough to be under the window?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I fit that cooler in an Antec 300, which is under 210mm wide (your Zalman is 260), so you should be fine.

When installed, the CPU is probably 3-4 mm above the surface of the motherboard.

I fit that cooler in an Antec 300, which is under 210mm wide (your Zalman is 260), so you should be fine.

When installed, the CPU is probably 3-4 mm above the surface of the motherboard.

It says it is 260 wide but that is including the window which bulges out. Excluding the window and chipmunk cheeks at the front, the case is only 200mm wide. This is why I want to make sure the CPU is under the window so the extra width of the window is available.

You can find that info here...

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Desktop and Intel® Pentium® Processor Family Desktop, and LGA1155 Socket

Thermal Mechanical Specifications and Design Guidelines (TMSDG)

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/guide/2nd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.pdf

As far as I could see, that didn't specify any standard position for the processor socket on an ATX motherboard. The main measurement I need to know is the distance from the top of the motherboard to the CPU socket.

However, it is useful to know the distance from the top of the motherboard to the top of the IHS, which was included in that document.

Last edited:
Back