• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASRock Z77 Extreme 4: not recognizing drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoomer

Just finished building with this mobo and ran into a problem. Got Windows installed and I can get in and run programs, access the Internet, install software from CD/DVD, good audio, got the video card setup, etc. Computer seems to run fine but...there's always a but isn't there. For the build I installed two OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's. This is in addition to the two Seagate HDD's and a GoFlex external drive. When I look in bios I can see both Seagates, both OCZ's, and the DVD drive but when I look in Windows one of the OCZ's and the DVD drive are missing. The DVD drive not showing up is weird because I've been installing software from it. The GoFlex doesn't show up yet but I haven't installed the software for it.

Anyway, if someone has tips on what I might be doing to cause the SSD and DVD to not show up in Windows I'd love to hear it. OS is Windows 7 Pro (64-bit).

Thanks,
Mike

Click on computer in Windows Explorer and only see one Vertex 4 and two Seagates. Can't see the second SSD or the DVD drive. Like I said, the funny thing about the DVD drive is that I've been installing software from it so the computer can see it.

Last edited:
OK...found some info on the Microsoft support site that instructs users to go into device manager and ensure that the devices are enabled and then to disk management to ensure they have drive letters assinged, and assign one if none exists. At work now but when I get home I'll check this out. Sounds like it's more of Windows problem than a hardware issue, which I kind of guessed since the hardware shows up in BIOS. Oh well, gives me something to do.

Last edited:
The DVD drive one is strange...the second SSD just might not be formatted though (probably the same process as assigning a drive letter in disk management).

OK...multiple solutions to this problem. Checked Device Manager and found that the second Vertex drive was not initialized. Also, the GoFlex didn't show up at all.

For the GoFlex I found that I didn't have the USB 3 connector seated properly in the mobo. It was in but when I pushed it slid in just a bit deeper and Windows immediately saw it and downloaded the driver for it.

For the SSD and DVD I right clicked on computer and manage. When the window opened, clicked on Disk Management. Once that came up I initialized the SSD and told windows to create it as standard MBR drive. For the DVD, I simply assigned a drive letter to it. Checked that all drives were present, assigned the drive letter that I wanted to use, and exited the app.

Drive problems are solved. All show up in My Computer and I have access to files on each. Tell you what. Those SSDs are fast. Click on something and it's there pronto. Launch Outlook and the splash screen is there and gone in milliseconds. I can reboot, enter my password, and be on the desktop in about 35 seconds. Good stuff.

Mike

Back