• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, push for + 5.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I've been trying to get my 2500k over 5.3 on my Extreme 4 Z77. I have no problem running at 5.3 for benching purposes. When I set the cores to 54 it won't post. I just get error codes, mostly 9A which I believe is related to the usb ports.

I've tried it with hd disabled, Lan disabled, Usb ports disabled. Yes I have all the green power saving stuff off. I'm kind of at a loss, it doesn't matter how much voltage I add, anyone have any experience with this or any other Asrock board, maybe I have a protection setting on, that I'm missing.

Each sandy CPU has a max multi it will boot at and no amount of volts will get past it. Best bet is to use 5.3 and raise bclk to 102 or so.

Each sandy CPU has a max multi it will boot at and no amount of volts will get past it. Best bet is to use 5.3 and raise bclk to 102 or so.

Really? That I didn't know, boooo if that is the case. It's a pretty good chip, 5.3 @ 1.48v on Air. I'll work with the bclk and see how it goes. Thanks.

Yeah i believe max it can be is 57 or 58 but each chip is different. Should be able to get 104-105 bclk if you really want to push it.

You should have no worries pushing 5.4 with that chip and board. Ran chimp challenge last year on mine at 5.2 1.52v and not even a squeek out of it. VRMs hated it but eh. Also benched superpi at 5.4 a few times just fine.

Thanks heater, I'll give it a whirl. Is there any Voltages that are related to the Bclk that I would need to change other then the Dram V if I increase the speed of the ram?

Thats something i'm not really sure on, but i doubt it. Since bclk is tied into everything you do not want to change it very much. Go to far and you will hit instability or it wont even boot. Usually 103 is a safe point to go to, after that its up in the air.

Tried 101*53 and it passes post but BSOD in windows. I even tried 102*52 and it worked but it took 1.54 cpu v. :( Damn and I had high hopes for this chip :)

I'm certainly not afraid of putting my foot on it's neck, though it was getting hot. My 8350 has been given several doses of 1.7 at times :) I made a run on Cinebench and hit 92c on it. That's a bit hot for my liking, I may be able to run some super pi and other single threaded benches but doubt I can do any multi core ones. Thanks though.

You can try this for checking max multiplier...

• Disable HT
  • Disable extra cores
  • Enable PLL Overvolatge
  • Set vcore around ~1.6v
  • Start increasing the multiplier and trying booting into the OS
This is what I did to make sure my old 2700K could reach the 56x multiplier.

Thanks Matt I give it a try.

Tried the above suggestion Matt, nothing. Anything over 5300 is a no go.
I had the Cpu V @ 1.6, 1 core enabled. 53*101 no post or BSOD and 54*100 won't post.

Last edited:
It is the voltage used by the clock multiplier circuit. From experience lowering it into the 1.5 - 1.7 region tends to help with overclocks.

This thread inspired me to try for 5Ghz with my I2500K. Now ran prime95 stable at 5Ghz for the last 15mins :) Vcore is at 1.6 tho :(

Multi at 49, Bclk 102.1

Hitting 84c temp on the hottest core.

This thread inspired me to try for 5Ghz with my I2500K. Now ran prime95 stable at 5Ghz for the last 15mins :) Vcore is at 1.6 tho :(

Multi at 49, Bclk 102.1

Hitting 84c temp on the hottest core.
You sure you need that much Cpu V to get to 5.0? I can run 5.3 at 1.48 though I never tried to run prime at those clocks, I'm only running it there for benching.

Also so far it's a no go for anything above 5.3 I tried 52*102 and it BSOD even with pll at 1.6 and 1.5

Back