• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASRock Z77 Pro4-M vs Extreme4-M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csquared

Registered
I've been lurking for quite some time, and I think it's about time I actually participate in this fine community :D

I know most of you guys recommend the Extreme4 for the majority of new builds, but the Pro4-M has caught my eye recently. What's the main difference between the Pro4-M and the Extreme4-M mobos?

I understand that the Pro only has one PCIe 3.0 slot, which is fine since I don't think I'll ever need/want to SLI. Also, the Pro has a different audio chipset (which doesn't concern me), but what does concern me is the description of the capacitors. The Pro has a "100% All Solid Capacitor Design" while the Extreme has "Premium Gold Caps." Is this something I should worry about?

I'm planning on building a new computer soon, and if I get the Pro4 from Microcenter it's going to be $60 plus tax with a 3570K. But if I should get the Extreme4, then I have to get it from Newegg, and it's going to cost $135 plus shipping.

Some more info
-My case is a Fractal Design Arc Mini, so it has to be an mATX board
-I plan on overclocking eventually, but I have a lot to learn before I do, and it won't be anything crazy
-I plan on watercooling, but not until early next year at least

What do you guys think- should I go with the Pro to save some money or should I get the Extreme?

p.s. sorry about the novel, I wanted to make sure my first post was a good one :thup:

Last edited:
On the packaging (I have a Extreme4) they toute that those premium gold caps are made in Japan. I seriously think thats all the word premium means.

You don't really have anything to worry about the caps, go ahead and get the Pro4, its a good motherboard, especially if its exactly what you need! Your worrying too much about something that is never looked at on a motherboard :p

You don't really have anything to worry about the caps, go ahead and get the Pro4, its a good motherboard, especially if its exactly what you need! Your worrying too much about something that is never looked at on a motherboard :p

Awesome, that's reassuring! I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck, and that the Extreme doesn't have something that justifies the higher price tag for my needs.

Depends how much you want to OC. The ASRock Pro4 is almost the same board with 1 x16 slot...but the VRM section is half the size of the Extreme4.

I saw this over in this thread, but I don't know much about VRM and all that jazz. Will this have much effect on what I will use the board for? I plan on getting a 3570K up to maybe 4.0, but that's about it.

That advice doesn't apply here. The Extreme4-M has the same 4+2 VRM section as the Pro4 and Pro4-M, only the full sized Extreme4 has the 8+4 section.

VRM is the part of the motherboard that delivers power to the CPU. Bigger is better and lets you overclock to higher clocks at lower voltages while keeping the motherboard cooler, etc. For a mild 4.0GHz OC, the 4+2 is fine.

That advice doesn't apply here. The Extreme4-M has the same 4+2 VRM section as the Pro4 and Pro4-M, only the full sized Extreme4 has the 8+4 section.

VRM is the part of the motherboard that delivers power to the CPU. Bigger is better and lets you overclock to higher clocks at lower voltages while keeping the motherboard cooler, etc. For a mild 4.0GHz OC, the 4+2 is fine.

Hello, I have this board for several months. And wanted
to know if the 4 +2 configuration could do a Overclook of 4.2~ 4.4.

I want the mainboard last me
more years, so you do not want to spend with the overclock.

Sorry for my English, but not speak it very well

Back