• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASRock Z77E-ITX - PCIE slot failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Runner

I have an Asrock Z77E-ITX and am having some issues running any discrete GPU. Onboard video works fine, both HDMI and DVI outputs video. But when I install either 7970 (Both work fine in my main pc), I not only get no video (when connected to GPU), but I also dont get video through the Onboard.

I've swapped PSU's, GPU's, disconnected all non essential components and still can not get video through the GPU.

Seems like the pcie slot went bad on the motherboard?

I figured I'd pick your brains before I go out and buy a new/different motherboard.

I ran into a similar issue with a gigabyte sniper m3 and a 7970. The system would not post with the 7970 installed but, the gpu tested fine in another system. I ended up flashing the bios with on board graphics to the latest version after that the 7970 worked fine.

Edit: I tested that board with a 5450 before flashing and that worked fine. If you have another gpu to test the slot I would try that first.

are you plugging the monitor into the gpu?
in your bios did you set default gpu to pci-e?

you can try to clr_cmos as well

i'd try those 3 things before giving up.

I ran into a similar issue with a gigabyte sniper m3 and a 7970. The system would not post with the 7970 installed but, the gpu tested fine in another system. I ended up flashing the bios with on board graphics to the latest version after that the 7970 worked fine.

Edit: I tested that board with a 5450 before flashing and that worked fine. If you have another gpu to test the slot I would try that first.

I can double check my onboard graphics driver/bios update. I haven't done either since the initial setup almost a year ago. Thanks for the idea!!

are you plugging the monitor into the gpu?
in your bios did you set default gpu to pci-e?

you can try to clr_cmos as well

i'd try those 3 things before giving up.

I've tried plugging in a DVI and HDMI cable, in both the GPU and the Motherboard's onboard... when a GPU is installed, none of the video outputs are working, both onboard and GPU.

Without the GPU, onboard works fine.

I have two 7970's in the rig in my sig, neither one will work on my ITX mobo.

I will try clearing the CMOS and the suggestions Psyko07 posted and let you all know how it goes! Thanks again for the replies :)

*Edit* Primary Graphics Adapter is set to PCIE in the Bios.*

For some reason, clearing the CMOS worked! Now I just have to find a heatsink with a backplate that will fit on this motherboard!

Thanks for the help!

For some reason, clearing the CMOS worked! Now I just have to find a heatsink with a backplate that will fit on this motherboard!

Thanks for the help!

i had this problem once before, not sure why but clr_cmos was the solution then too. always remembered that so whenever anyone has an issue with a pci-e slot that's included in the suggested fixes.

Glad it worked for you!

Yeah, I'm shocked that clearing the cmos is all it took... and that I didn't try it sooner! I marked the thread as solved, should anyone need it in the future. Thanks again for the help!

Back