• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock Z87 Extreme 3 + 2x Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSDS - Raid 0 setup help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

How would I go about installing a fresh Windows 10x 64bit OS on a Raid 0 setup with 2x Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSDs on my AsRock Z87 Extreme 3?

It shows that it has Raid 0 support. I have the manual so I can look up which SATA ports to use for the Raid 0 setup. But how do I actually create the Raid properly? Any best practices? Then install Windows 10 on it? I've done fresh installs of Windows 10 many times in the past, is it the same once I have the Raid setup?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
No worries. Best practice for a RAID 0 is "Don't" but then again... SPEED!

In terms of stripe size, I couldn't find anything of any real help. If you generally use large files, large stripe size, small files, small stripes. I choose something like 128k for my RAID 0.

Once you set it up in the BIOS, Windows 10 will only see the one drive and will install just like every other install that you ever do.

Warning: Recovery software will not work with the RAID unless you pay for it. The recovery software will see the two individual drives instead of the RAID.

Not so sure that you will notice much performance difference in RAID 0 over using a single SSD in most applications but if you have the drives already laying around it's a good way to get twice as much storage capacity. But there is the risk that if one drive fails the whole RAID is broken and data will be unrecoverable.

Last edited:
Back