• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance on new build/upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamajangs

Registered
Hi Guys,
Long time forum stalker here, just never bit the bullet and joined. Anyway, it's time for a new build to replace my existing Q6600 setup. I plan to swipe what I can from the old rig and transfer to the new one outlined below (mainly hard drives) while keeping the old one functional. I'm pretty set on everything, but I'm not certain about the RAM if it's really needed. I plan to use the new build as an HTPC as well as for gaming (not as into it as I once was, but I still indulge :D). Since I'll be streaming media there will be some transcoding of video which is why I went with the 3770k for HT. I'm also hoping to have this build last a good 5 years like my current build has. I can live with updating a GPU though.

New Build
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 950w Silencer Mark II
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 or G.Skill Trident X 2400
GPU: EVGA GTX 660i Ti 2GB
Heatsink: Noctua D14
Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Current Build
Motherboard: EVGA 750i SLI FTW
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
GPU: x2 EVGA 8800GT SC in SLI
Heatsink: Xigamatek S1283
Case: Cooler Master 690
SSD: 120gb Intel 320 Series
HDD: x2 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, 1TB Seagate
External HDD: 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk
Soundcard: Creative x-fi Titanium Fatal1ty

Yes I use a ton of storage lol. I was just curious if someone could clarify on the RAM if the Trident series is worth the extra $40, or if I should go with something else? I've read that anything after 1600 doesn't hold much value over performance gains. Is that really true with my build or just in general? Is the PSU overkill at that wattage considering the amount of HDDs I'll be using (at least 4 internal)? How about the Noctua D-14, is it really worth the cost if I don't plan to really overclock, at least not right away? I've heard the new CPUs get hot and I worry a little because my tower has to sit in an open ended cabinet until I can figure something else out. It'll have room for front intake and rear exhaust, but it'll just be limited to the amount of space on the top and side panels (roughly 3-4 inches). I know it's not ideal considering the large case, but it's the only option I have for the time being. I'm okay with spending the money I have to as long as the need is there to justify the value. However, if I can save money anywhere without sacrificing much that's always great haha. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Outside of synthetic benchmarks, you aren't going to noticed any difference between 1333 and 1600 RAM. I'd just go with whatever is cheaper.

As Conumdrum said, the power supply is way overkill for that system. Hard drives pull little wattage compared to other main components. I'm running a sixteen core (2x 8 core) AMD server, 64gb RAM, and 19 hard drives off a Corsair HX620. I still have room to spare.

Ivy Bridge runs hotter, but puts out less heat. I'm running a 3570 i5 at 4.6 GHz under a TRUE with two medium speed Panaflo fans that are severely undervolted. My processor doesn't get over 70c, unless under extreme stress (stability testing). EDIT: At my desktop, it is running 45,34,39,32 with a fairly light load.

I was worried it might be, thanks for that. According to Noctua both RAM types should work with the cooler. I believe the Trident series has to have the top heatsink removed though.

Outside of synthetic benchmarks, you aren't going to noticed any difference between 1333 and 1600 RAM. I'd just go with whatever is cheaper.

As Conumdrum said, the power supply is way overkill for that system. Hard drives pull little wattage compared to other main components. I'm running a sixteen core (2x 8 core) AMD server, 64gb RAM, and 19 hard drives off a Corsair HX620. I still have room to spare.

Ivy Bridge runs hotter, but puts out less heat. I'm running a 3570 i5 at 4.6 GHz under a TRUE with two medium speed Panaflo fans that are severely undervolted. My processor doesn't get over 70c, unless under extreme stress (stability testing). EDIT: At my desktop, it is running 45,34,39,32 with a fairly light load.

Alright, I think then I'll drop down the the 1600 version of the Ripjaws X.

As for the PSU, I'm rather fond of the PC Power and Cooling brand (I've been unlucky with others in the past), however non-modular isn't offered in many different capacities. 750w seems to be the lowest and I already have experience with it. However, I see a lot of people use Corsair, does it matter other than brand loyalty at this point? Is the differences between modular and non-modular even worth worrying about these days?

With the tower being in a cabinet then, do you think the Hyper 212 or Xigmatek SD1283 would keep the CPU cool enough under load? With that being said, if I do OC in the future, would those coolers still get the job done or should I just splurge on the Noctua now?

Thanks guys for the quick response.

There are MANY MANY different PSUs in the PSU section of this forum for you to peruse. We have experts in each sub forum. Pay attention to the stickies at the top of the sub forum.

If cooling is an issue and you want TOP CPU coolers, then the Cooling forum AND our upper left button, home has some great reviews. It all depends on your budget, how the cooler fits etc.

You's probably be fine with the cooler you mentioned, good enough, and enough for most. It's a good cooler, better than most.

You just gotta dig deeper and do your homework, or wait for answers.

As for the PSU, I'm rather fond of the PC Power and Cooling brand (I've been unlucky with others in the past), however non-modular isn't offered in many different capacities. 750w seems to be the lowest and I already have experience with it. However, I see a lot of people use Corsair, does it matter other than brand loyalty at this point? Is the differences between modular and non-modular even worth worrying about these days?
PC Power and Cooling is now owned by Thermaltake, if you were not aware. People choose Corsair because they've consistently had good power supplies since they started producing them. They also have very good and prompt customer service. This is why I use them exclusively.

Why don't you want modular?

Last edited:
There are MANY MANY different PSUs in the PSU section of this forum for you to peruse. We have experts in each sub forum. Pay attention to the stickies at the top of the sub forum.

If cooling is an issue and you want TOP CPU coolers, then the Cooling forum AND our upper left button, home has some great reviews. It all depends on your budget, how the cooler fits etc.

You's probably be fine with the cooler you mentioned, good enough, and enough for most. It's a good cooler, better than most.

Thanks. From what I read the 212 was a highly suggested cooler, though it seemed the Noctua won out as most people ended up overclocking anyway. I'll check browse the forums as you suggested though for more info, thanks.

PC Power and Cooling is now owned by Thermaltake, if you were not aware. People choose Corsair because they've consistently had good power supplies since they started producing them. They also have very good and prompt customer service. This is why I use them exclusively.

Why don't you want modular?

I thought they were owned by OCZ? It's been some time since I last looked into it though so that may have changed.

It's not that I don't want modular, it's mainly I'm unfamiliar with it. I've read articles and seen mixed reviews all over so I'm not sure what to make of it. You know how it is with internet reviews though, most are biased :). However, the talk about instability and inconsistency has worried me. Though I'm not sure how much of it is really true. Honestly, I have plenty I could learn before I can filter out the pertinent info on my own. Anyway, I've always used non-modular and almost exclusively PCP&C, so I'm comfortable in what I "know" and I'm hesitant to wander out in unfamiliar territory I guess. The unused wires do get annoying though and length is also something I should think about in moving to a full tower. Aside from cable management the only other difference I really see would be user preference. I'll have to research a bit more as suggested before I settle on something then.

2007 reference, things change? Wiki isn't the all and all.

The banner on their website: http://www.pcpower.com/index.html :p

I thought they were owned by OCZ? It's been some time since I last looked into it though so that may have changed.

No, you're right.

You could easily save a ton of money on the case and motherboard. PSU, say 20W each for hard drives, GPU is 200W moderately overclocked, CPU is 100W moderately overclocked. Maybe another 20W for the rest of the system. 500W is going to easily run a single card. 650 for two cards.

Probably don't need 16GB of RAM with those uses.

If the problem is bad airflow around the case, getting a bigger heatsink isn't going to help as much as getting a cabinet fan.

Last edited:
It's not that I don't want modular, it's mainly I'm unfamiliar with it. I've read articles and seen mixed reviews all over so I'm not sure what to make of it. You know how it is with internet reviews though, most are biased :). However, the talk about instability and inconsistency has worried me. Though I'm not sure how much of it is really true. Honestly, I have plenty I could learn before I can filter out the pertinent info on my own. Anyway, I've always used non-modular and almost exclusively PCP&C, so I'm comfortable in what I "know" and I'm hesitant to wander out in unfamiliar territory I guess. The unused wires do get annoying though and length is also something I should think about in moving to a full tower. Aside from cable management the only other difference I really see would be user preference. I'll have to research a bit more as suggested before I settle on something then.

Maybe your reviews have been the standard send me stuff I'll review it. Cuz It's free. In the PSU forums we have a great sticky, you need to read it.

Ever hear of JohnnyGuru? You should. We also have good reviews here.

If the review doen't look at the waveforms, do temp testing and load testing, it's a hack review kinda.

I Have been using quality modular PSU for years and never had an issue. Key word is 'Quality'. Good reviews.

The banner on their website:

You could easily save a ton of money on the case and motherboard. PSU, say 20W each for hard drives, GPU is 200W moderately overclocked, CPU is 100W moderately overclocked. Maybe another 20W for the rest of the system. 500W is going to easily run a single card. 650 for two cards.

Probably don't need 16GB of RAM with those uses.

If the problem is bad airflow around the case, getting a bigger heatsink isn't going to help as much as getting a cabinet fan.

What would you recommend for a case and motherboard? I've thought about downgrading to the HAF XM instead. As for the Sabertooth, I can get it for $194 at Microcenter which has been tempting at that price point. I'm not gonna lie and don't want to admit it, but it looks pretty nice which is probably why I'm drawn to it :p

8GB plenty then? I'd be using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit most likely, doubt I'd upgrade to 8 unless I get it for free again lol.

My current tower is in the cabinet now and my temps are fine on my Q6600 and case. The HAF X is a little deeper, wider, and taller than my existing case, but the only possible issues may be the side panel and top. It should still have 3 inches of clearance on the top and sides though. Currently I have a single 120mm front intake, 120mm side intake, 120mm rear exhaust, and 120mm top exhaust. 8800GTs are passive cooled with the accelero s2s. I don't really feel it would be an issue, but I get what you're saying. I'm hoping to get another desk in the near future which will be more open.

You can get solid motherboards for sub-$100 at Microcenter, lol. ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

In all honesty, you're moving to a setup that produces a LOT less heat than your previous build, no need to worry.

Case-wise, Lian Li, Fractal Design if you want quiet, Bitfenix has some solid stuff out too. I'm of the opinion that full-towers are just unnecessary unless you're going 3+ GPUs or internal custom water cooling.

Could also grab a TRUE Spirit 140 from Amazon, that'll cool the 3770K to 4.5GHzish. If you're fine with 4.2-4.3, you can get a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo.

Note the 7870 is about the same performance as the 660Ti, but costs a good bit less. AMD's solution to being competitive is repeatedly slashing their prices way down, I'm not complaining. :p

LOL I know there are cheaper boards, but do they look as awesome? :p haha...I'm kidding...kinda lol. The ASRock Extreme4 was on my list of possibilities as well. It seems to get decent reviews, but I've read that the parts aren't of the same quality as the ASUS boards. Then again I've never owned an ASUS board so I guess that doesn't mean anything. However, I'd be more apt to trust what's said here than most places considering the experience of most of the people here. More or less I'm looking for a good quality board that's overclock friendly with plenty of sata and USB (working 3.0 please lol) ports, easily accessible PCI/PCI-e slots, and sli/crossfire capable (in case I decide to get another card later). The 750i board has been nice, but with the cards in sli and the coolers I'm stuck with only being able to use a single PCI-e x1 slot. The only somewhat accessible pci slot is between the cards where it's cramped and gets warm in there.

After having to bust knuckles to make everything fit in my mid-tower I vowed in a fit of rage that the next case I bought would be full sized simply because it would be easier to move around. With all this newfangled cable management added to these cases, it sounds pretty silly to say it "out loud" haha. Also another reason why a modular PSU would be nice I guess. I think I'll take your advice though and look into a cheaper and smaller case.

I think I'll drop the Noctua as well and go with a cheaper solution. Both of those you listed seem much nicer for the price/performance.

I did research most of these things before coming here, but after wading through page after page of reviews and suggestions it all started to sound the same. Each time something would start to look nice along came something to deter me a little. I ended up just building a list of parts and told myself this is it. I'm a naturally indecisive person so I have to do that to myself or I'll make excuses forever before taking the plunge. I probably would have gone with it too, all the while ripping myself off so-to-speak. I'm glad I stopped by to ask you guys. Maybe when I go to sell the final cost to the other half it won't be so hard haha. Thanks for the help though I really appreciate it.

ASUS boards are almost undoubtly a step above everyone else. However, the thing is with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs, overclocking doesn't stress the motherboard as much as previous generations. As long as the the board can provide enough power to the CPU (this would be the size of the VRM section, which the ASRock has enough), they'll all OC relatively the same. You really want to buy a motherboard based on the number of ports you need and the features it offers. The ASRock Extreme4 is recommended a lot here is because it's basically your standard board. It doesn't really have huge amounts of extra ports or lots of extra features. It's solid, does the basics well and reliable, and is priced low.

This is what I would go with.

Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.31.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.32.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.33.03 PM.png

Thanks for going through that for me, it wasn't what I was expecting. Much appreciated though!

Back