• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AstroPulse Optimizer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuietIce

Disabled
In case you haven't heard there's an AstroPulse optimizer out now.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=49749

In addition to downloading the app you'll need to take the *.xml provided and cut & paste it into your existing *.xml. The AstroPulse (AP) app does not provide a normal WU app - this would still be whatever optimizer you're using now. The AP app just adds AP functionality and optimization to your existing WU optimizer.

I've only been running it a couple of days so far but I'll check back as I get results on how well it does. I may even get the Q6600 running it today so there will be more to talk about when I get results ... :)

Installed, seems to be working alright. Downloading new WUs but I don't think I'm getting any AP units yet.

Running the AP SSE3 on my Dell E8400 has made my RAC drop since picking up APs along with normal WUs. I am not really seeing the advantage of running the SSE3 AP along with AK8 (SSE 4.1) for normal WUs on a SSE4.1 processor so far. I will give it a little more time to stabilize the RAC before passing final judgment. I may just have to wait for them to release the AP for SSE4.1 CPUs.

I just checked, and I got this for one of the AP: 56,403.43 (secs) 759.41 (pending credit). Here is a longer/larger "normal" WU: 3,044.17 79.45 (pending credit) from the same day. It took 18 times longer to get ~9 times the points. I did not get a lot of sleep (more like none) last night, so I very well be messing up the math I am crunching in my head. So feel free to correct any of my very possible mistakes. :p

The question is how many of those large WU's do you average and what is the AP return vs. smaller WU's? The large WU's are only about 40% of what I get, the others are all small WU's and don't return nearly as many cobblestones/sec ...

The question is how many of those large WU's do you average and what is the AP return vs. smaller WU's? The large WU's are only about 40% of what I get, the others are all small WU's and don't return nearly as many cobblestones/sec ...

On average my E8400 Dell (3GHz non-overclocked) dual core does 2 normal WUs ever 45 to 60 minutes and get 45.57 to 79 credits for each WU done. Larger ones may take a little longer, with slightly more credit... smaller ones, well you get it. Regardless, I still get more RAC per day with normal WUs versus APs using both optimizers.

WU ID Seconds Credit
369572235 2,751.67 (~45.85 minutes) 45.57
369572224 2,748.34 (~45.81 minutes) 45.57

Then you have an easy decision - drop the AP units. :)

All you have to do is restore the original *.xml file with only the AK_v8 app in it ...

You can also edit your profile on the SETI website to do only regular WU's, only AP or both (default) if you wish.

Personally, it's about the science and not the points, so I'm running AP WU's. Not sure how they'll do for me though, I've got quite a mix of machines.

Phenom 9500, Mac mini (T5600 I think), Imac (Wolfdale 2.66Ghz). I've downloaded a few, but none have processed yet.

You can also edit your profile on the SETI website to do only regular WU's, only AP or both (default) if you wish.

Personally, it's about the science and not the points, so I'm running AP WU's. Not sure how they'll do for me though, I've got quite a mix of machines.

Phenom 9500, Mac mini (T5600 I think), Imac (Wolfdale 2.66Ghz). I've downloaded a few, but none have processed yet.

That is the main reason it is still running on my E8400 CPU machine…. It's about the science. I will be watching for a better SSE4.1 optimized version for AP.

q6600 has four AP wus in process now finally. So far, still on track for ~11-12 hours each, which wouldn't be too bad. That's over 6k credit a day. If it sticks to that, I may set the q6600 to run AP only.

q6600 has four AP wus in process now finally. So far, still on track for ~11-12 hours each, which wouldn't be too bad. That's over 6k credit a day. If it sticks to that, I may set the q6600 to run AP only.

Please keep us up to date on your results for AP.

I finally got my first AP wu done on my laptop and it doesn't do badly on it. I just crunched some numbers on it and it averaged 32.86 credits/hour. On small sized regular wu's my laptop averaged 32.42 credits/hour and on the larger normal wu it averages 36.61 credits/hour. This is with the latest optimizations available for both types of work.

Back