• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 290 DCU2 reaching 90c stock clocks! Ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obababoy

Registered
I probably bit off more than I can chew, but I bought the ASUS R9 290 DCU2 on amazon for $399 the other day after doing some research. I read that it ran hot but alot of overlock reviews and such only had it running a 80 stock or 85 overclocked which isnt terrible for these. Now performance wise this thing is great but I am reaching 90c playing battlefield hardline beta, or watch dogs. at 90c the fan is at 55% and is loud!

Check out my setup and let me know if there are any alternatives. Would another R9 290 be better to use in my case? Im willing to get anything under $500. Id rather not return this card because price and performance(minus cooling) are great: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VvDn8d

Try temporarily removing the CPU overclock. What's the Vcore while gaming at 4.1GHz, including the core temp's?

Anyone have an ideas? Should I cut a slit in the top of the case? Would any of the other R9 290's be better for this case?

Umm... you are in a ITX sized case (we even said blower for that to help keep things cool). That is likely part of, if not the problem. That thing is dumping heat inside the case. Perhaps your best bet is a reference model that does not dump the majority of its heat load into the case. ;)

That or get a bigger case with better airflow.

But 78F house and ITX case + a card that dumps heat inside the case = warmer temps.

Umm... you are in a ITX sized case. That is likely part of, if not the problem. That thing is dumping heat inside the case. Perhaps your best bet is a reference model that does not dump the majority of its heat load into the case. ;)

That or get a bigger case with better airflow.

But 78F house and ITX case + a card that dumps heat inside the case = warmer temps.

You stole my thunder!

But seriously, +1 to that post. The 290/290X is a heat monster, not suited to ITX duty in my mind.
The 770 in my Hadron Air is PLENTY of heat, and they stay cool pretty easily.

Might have to venture over to Nvidia then for some better temps. I've seen some reviews with my case and a EVGA ACX GTX 780/780ti and they stay around 80c. This card is just awesome and although ive been with Nvidia for the past 5 years the price of the R9 290's is fantastic!
I don't feel like getting a new case right now so yeah, im limited.

Or simply a reference blower cooler if you are set on a 290... Understand that, there isn't much difference power use wise between a 770 and 290 (both around 250W).

Weird you can spend $500 on another card (say net $200) but wont get another case... that is the root cause man... ;)

Yeah I screwed up. The point of going SFF was to have a nice little gaming computer/htpc with a single well performing GPU. Problem is the new cards these days run so much hotter than the old ones. If I just leave the cover off it does lower about 8c.

Well what would be a good case that balances noise/cooling/size that is around $100? I hear good things about the NZXT H440.

Im going to try the video card in my Thermaltake case also just to see temp differences.

Looking closer at the case it looks like where the Gpu goes there are vents in the side panel. What about mounting a pair of 120mm fans on the side of the case, using double sided tape? You could also do the same to the top of the case. It may not be aesthetically pleasing to look at but could help the temps.

^^Possibly. Im not above cutting up the case a bit if it would work..The issue up top is the vent you see is blocked off by the PSU. If I flip it over the PSU would stay cooler, because it would suck from outside/top of case but there would be less flow in the case.

So, after some fiddling around with my cougar fans I found a better solution to my heat. As you can see in the attachment my fan speed is at 42% which is right before it starts getting annoying. I tried placing the fans inside on the right side of the case and exhausting out but it didn't manage to change temps much. Placing them on the video card side dropped the temps by about 10c! The picture below shows an overclock but right now at stock clock it is sitting at 77c at the core and VRM1/2 is 83c and 80c respectively.

So Im wondering if I should cut 2 120mm holes for these fans and hook them up inside instead of my ghetto solution? When pressed against the grate they do get louder. They hover about 1cm off the side of the case by themselves.

EDIT: Apparently I cut off the video card overclock but it was as follows:
GPU: 1115
GPUmV 1300
Memory 5800
Power Target 150
Fan Speed 42%

Attachments

• Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 20140617_171105.jpg
    20140617_171105.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 181
Cutting holes for flow and mounting would absolutely help.
Amazing what a bit of airflow can do, eh?

Also, curious pooch is curious :)

Back