• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A7V133 Raid Won't Idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jiff

I've been having lots of problems with my Abit KT7a Raid so I swapped it for a ASUS A7V133 Raid.

But my temps have gone sky high ! I was getting 33c idle and 51c full load on my Abit. I am getting 50c to 57c on my Asus but it does not seem to vary as much as my Abit.

I think that the Win 98 s/w cooling is not working, there is a bit in the Asus Probe s/w that enables this but it has no affect!

My specs are :-
Asus A7V133 Raid
Athlon C AXIA 1.2GHz
Taisol CGK742092
Enemax 465P-VE
2 sticks of 128MB PC133 Micro Q (7ns)
Soundblaster Live Value
3d Prophet 2 mx
Nic
Front sucking fan YS Tech FD1281257B-2A

Hi!, I´ve got the same mobo as you, and I have the same problem: the cooling option in asus probe don´t works.
I´ve got cooling cpu always enabled and the cpu temp don´t change.
I suppose that if you don´t exceed the temp threshold, the cpu cooling isn´t enabled, and the min cpu temp threshold is 64 ºC.

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

There is a well documented problem with the ASUS Probe. This program is known to report temps as much 10c higher than actual, my experience with the ASUS boards confirms this.

In my opinion, provided your system is running stable, it is more important to monitor the as reported temps for an unexplained increase than fret too much over the reported temps.

I keep my ASUS systems below the upper 50's as reported by the ASUS Probe.

Some people have had success using a third party program such as "Motherboard Monitor 5". I'm a bit skeptical of these though as they still rely on the thermistor as installed by the motherboard manufacturer. Another area that causes my skeptisism is the that MBM5 has an option to raise or lower the as reported temps, leaving a window open to question the accuracy with another variable.

After you get over the temp issue with these boards, this is a very solid and stable platform to build a system I'm also using an A7V133 in a RAID 0 configuration and am quite pleased with it.

My .02c,
Good Luck!

Glad to hear that my temps aren't too crazy.

Is there any way to enable software cooling in Win98 SE.

Most of the time I spend on the net so I would prefer to let my CPU idle a bit and only use its full power when needed. I want my CPU to have a longish life (5 years). :rolleyes:

Back